Detroit!

- open
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

I don't get the hype on Kyle Hall. I just don't understand why his music is supposedly so good. I do understand he's quite young and doing his own thing and that's great but once again I feel like, because he's from Detroit, he's a bit overhyped.
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

but well, this is part of being from a certain scene, isn't it?

Music has never been about talent only, even in the most underground scenes. It's about friends, people... Can't blame that, we're human.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

maxeinsoul wrote:but well, this is part of being from a certain scene, isn't it?

Music has never been about talent only, even in the most underground scenes. It's about friends, people... Can't blame that, we're human.
well yeah, you are absolutely right.
in the case of Kyle Hall I read a few hyped articles about him before I had heard any of his productions and Omar-S was hyped about him and when I finally heard his music I was a bit disappointed. but that's what hyping can do to people. and I think most of the time the producers are not even asking for any kind of hype, it just happens.
maxeinsoul
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by maxeinsoul »

that's the RA type of sh!t.

Haven't been reading that for ages, the only thing i trust is my pair of ears. That's why now, i wander on youtube, even itunes radios as a background, and when i hear something i like, i turn the volume up, check the artist, and dig it. I hate folowing "what is up today".
Del
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Del »

maxeinsoul wrote:that's the RA type of sh!t.

Haven't been reading that for ages, the only thing i trust is my pair of ears. That's why now, i wander on youtube, even itunes radios as a background, and when i hear something i like, i turn the volume up, check the artist, and dig it. I hate folowing "what is up today".
Or in RA's case "What was up yesterday".

As for the Detroit and hype thing goes I'd maybe liken it to the young Brazilian footballer. There's going to be a certain glamour or hype surrounding them moreso than his English counterpart. I suspect the same rules apply to techno in regards to Detroit, Berlin etc.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

Del wrote: As for the Detroit and hype thing goes I'd maybe liken it to the young Brazilian footballer. There's going to be a certain glamour or hype surrounding them moreso than his English counterpart. I suspect the same rules apply to techno in regards to Detroit, Berlin etc.
I guess you´re right, though I'd like to argue that there's really nothing worthwile you can hype about Berlin since soooo many people who make music, good and bad, live there. It would be kind of hard to imagine you could add some value or hype to your music just because you moved to/live in Berlin. I think it's a bit of a cliché even.

Having said that, I don't mean that everything that comes out of Berlin is a cliché. A great city, some great record shops, original vibe, cheap and good places to go party and listen to great music.
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Fuckin' RA, that another can of worms. For a while a DL'd the podcasts and sometimes i would go and read the comments that the RA listeners left. 90% of them always say "Wow this is the best mix I have ever heard, Best podcast ever!!!"

Half the time the mix is either trash or nothing special. But over there its always the Podcast of the year to these cats. Especially if its someone from Detroit.