Loveletters from Oslo

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

juhokusti wrote:thanks for those figures, guys. wow, so it really seems that a lot of people might be actually bying mp3 format for djing as well? or am I just clueless?
Why not... despite of what most freaks say, you will not hear the difference between a wav or an 320 kbps mp3 in your average club. Simply because the sound quality to hear the difference is not present in the clubs where most of us play every week, unless all of a sudden all of us play on Funktion One or in Fabric on a weekly bases :? In ideal circumstances, at home, with your expensive headphones or with very expensive monitors or a chunky setup, sure (and even then) but I doubt I'd sit down at home in my comfy chair to listen to the latest Cadenza :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

PsyTox wrote:
juhokusti wrote:thanks for those figures, guys. wow, so it really seems that a lot of people might be actually bying mp3 format for djing as well? or am I just clueless?
Why not... despite of what most freaks say, you will not hear the difference between a wav or an 320 kbps mp3 in your average club. Simply because the sound quality to hear the difference is not present in the clubs where most of us play every week, unless all of a sudden all of us play on Funktion One or in Fabric on a weekly bases :? In ideal circumstances, at home, with your expensive headphones or with very expensive monitors or a chunky setup, sure (and even then) but I doubt I'd sit down at home in my comfy chair to listen to the latest Cadenza :)
I remember the small comparison article that was made by DJMag some years ago at Fabric, with some studio engineers, Fabric soundguy and a few others...
The conclusion was, as fas as I remember, that the biggest difference was hearable from anything below 320, but from 320 up to wav was only a very small difference, and wav vs cd/vinyl was more or less the same (according to this sound engineer, fabric soundguy and some others).
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

patrick bateman wrote:
PsyTox wrote:
I remember the small comparison article that was made by DJMag some years ago at Fabric, with some studio engineers, Fabric soundguy and a few others...
The conclusion was, as fas as I remember, that the biggest difference was hearable from anything below 320, but from 320 up to wav was only a very small difference, and wav vs cd/vinyl was more or less the same (according to this sound engineer, fabric soundguy and some others).
and in the end it's about the audience, not the DJ, and I'm pretty sure they don't hear the difference at all... but i like my vinyl, so f*ck it :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Kiani wrote:and in the end it's about the audience, not the DJ, and I'm pretty sure they don't hear the difference at all... but i like my vinyl, so f*ck it :)
and when the alcohol and drugs have entered, the PA is playing loud, the lights are blinking and the girls are stripping, then who can tell the difference?
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

ok, cool and thanks for the answers, people.

I think I was just amazed by the quantity of mp3s being sold compared to those of wave files. but then again, I haven't shifted into playing digitally yet so what do I know. there has been some debate here in Finland especially about Serato making things sound like sh!t but I dont know if thats true or not. guys over here in Helsinki seem to value Traktor Scratch way more. I dont know why but they do.
Jordan Peak
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Jordan Peak »

and when the alcohol and drugs have entered, the PA is playing loud, the lights are blinking and the girls are stripping, then who can tell the difference?[/quote]

Exactly!!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

juhokusti wrote:ok, cool and thanks for the answers, people.

I think I was just amazed by the quantity of mp3s being sold compared to those of wave files. but then again, I haven't shifted into playing digitally yet so what do I know. there has been some debate here in Finland especially about Serato making things sound like sh!t but I dont know if thats true or not. guys over here in Helsinki seem to value Traktor Scratch way more. I dont know why but they do.
mp3 is a lot cheaper. if you buy a 4 track EP in wav it's about the same price as buying an import on vinyl.
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

great...

Love Letters From Oslo Beatport Discography

it's on every fucking music blogg..

all of the old vinyl-only llfo tracks lost value and appreciation by the minute they decided to release them on beatport..

i'm so disappointed.. they're dead for me now..