different mixers - different clubs

- open
mmm
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

different mixers - different clubs

Post by mmm »

Hey,
I'm going to record a few DJ's (some who I may not be able to get to talk to) at a few different clubs. I'm not sure of these clubs' set-ups (most likely the usuall djm 6,7 or 800) but I am afraid that the DJ is going to go over 0db and the recording is going to clip.

I feel like most DJ's go far into the yellow-zone (above 0db) when they are spinning? Is this true?

Is there any way to make recording a Liveset more flexible so we don't have to worry about clipping and ruining the recording? Maybe using other outputs on the mixer?
Combe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Combe »

Using other mixer before your soundcard / laptop to reduce the gain.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

put a limiter on the record out of the mixer I guess?
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

get there a bit beforehand and have a talk to the PA guy.

As for the clipping, it seems a bit of a strange thing to say, but 95% of the dj's don't know how to work properly with a mixer (and that applies to a lot of well known names btw). Almost everytime I arrive behind the booth I see the leds firmly into the red. Or the EQ's mid and high are three quarters open. :roll: Some promotors seem to think that placing f.e; Funktion One is a garantuee for good sound but they are afraid to tell a dj to adjust the sound a bit (or pay a bit extra for a good pa guy who monitors the sound).
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

leave lots of headroom. most DJ's will play over 14dB slamming it into the limiter.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: different mixers - different clubs

Post by damagedgoods »

mmm wrote:Hey,
I'm going to record a few DJ's (some who I may not be able to get to talk to) at a few different clubs. I'm not sure of these clubs' set-ups (most likely the usuall djm 6,7 or 800) but I am afraid that the DJ is going to go over 0db and the recording is going to clip.

I feel like most DJ's go far into the yellow-zone (above 0db) when they are spinning? Is this true?

Is there any way to make recording a Liveset more flexible so we don't have to worry about clipping and ruining the recording? Maybe using other outputs on the mixer?
On most pro DJ mixers you can go well into the red before the signal actually clips. Of course the amplitude of the signal will be greater than whatever voltage gets translated to -0dB full-scale - but the top and bottom won't be cut off, so as long as you attenuate the signal before it hits your sound card then you can avoid a clipped recording.

How far into the red the DJ can go is basically a matter of the voltage on the supply rails of the mixer, but I have FOH engineer friends who suspect that hardware manufacturers are also aware that DJs have a tendency to go ragging away on mixers and deliberately attenuate the output....

(FWIW, on a DJM600 I'm pretty sure you can go all the way til "Over" and maybe even further, but it will definitely start clipping not long after that.)
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
TMCM
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TMCM »

patrick bateman wrote:Ask the DJ to behave!
u think that works? :lol:
coffee makes you happy... except when it messes you up.
Twitter Last.FM Facebook