Fulltime to Part time for the music!!

- ask away
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

hydrogen wrote:
Brankis wrote:i have some friends in the corporate rut and i don't think they're very happy people
8)
not you!! i really didn't mean you Jeff, your job is so fucking cool anyway :D
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

steevio wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: music can be quite consuming and is a very shallow persute really.
then you arent a musician if you can say that.

without music the world would be totally fucked, instead of just about totally fucked.

to utopian82;

go for it bro !!!
you'll never regret it.
I don't rely on my music for my income, so no, i'm not a musician. I'm a Quantity Surveyor, and proud to be so. I also have a nice life because of it, so aren't making any apologies.

I think music is shallow when looked at in a completely objective sense; obviously it's very deep on a personal level, but in the scheme of things, maybe its better to spend *some* of the time you'd otherwise spend sitting around your studio in your underwear helping less fortunate people in some way; people who cant perhaps even afford a roof over their head let alone that shiny new midi controller you've just bought? And what about your own future? Surely time should be invested in facilitating some kind of success outside of music; I would feel a failure if all i'd ever done is make music all my life.....; I want to be a full, well rounded human being, not obsessed by one aspect of what can be a wonderful life, full of challenge and reward.

Just my 2c
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Brankis wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
Brankis wrote:i have some friends in the corporate rut and i don't think they're very happy people
8)
not you!! i really didn't mean you Jeff, your job is so fcking cool anyway :D
haha... If only I had 6 weeks!!!!

I got an awesome email from my dad that had some silly quotes in it... "the only difference between a rut and a grave is 6 feet"
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
steevio wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: music can be quite consuming and is a very shallow persute really.

without music the world would be totally fucked, instead of just about totally fucked.

to utopian82;

go for it bro !!!
you'll never regret it.
I don't rely on my music for my income, so no, i'm not a musician. I'm a Quantity Surveyor, and proud to be so. I also have a nice life because of it, so aren't making any apologies.

I think music is shallow when looked at in a completely objective sense; obviously it's very deep on a personal level, but in the scheme of things, maybe its better to spend *some* of the time you'd otherwise spend sitting around your studio in your underwear helping less fortunate people in some way; people who cant perhaps even afford a roof over their head let alone that shiny new midi controller you've just bought? And what about your own future? Surely time should be invested in facilitating some kind of success outside of music; I would feel a failure if all i'd ever done is make music all my life.....; I want to be a full, well rounded human being, not obsessed by one aspect of what can be a wonderful life, full of challenge and reward.

Just my 2c
it was just an observation mate, you arent a musician, youre a quantity surveyor, or you wouldnt say that. all ive ever done since i walked away from the world of materialism is music and i dont feel i'm a failure, no more so than anyone in any occupation should consider themselves a failure if they are contributing to society in some way.
music is a massively important part of everyone on this planet's life and it requires people who dedicate their lives to it, right from the roadie up to the classical composer, just as it requires quantity surveyors.
and its completely ignorant (thats not an insult, i mean the true meaning of the word) to assume that musicians dont live full, well rounded lives full of challenge and reward.
human beings are more than just the job they do, sweeping generalisations about musicians somehow not caring about the plight of the third world or sitting around wasting time on a 'very shallow pursuit' is bound to evoke a response like this from someone who has effectively been involved in the music business in one way or the other all his adult life.
how would you react if i said that quantity surveyors are responsible for killing our architect's creativity and contributing to a drab cityscape ;)

come on bro, musicians exist for a reason.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

steevio wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:
steevio wrote:

to utopian82;

go for it bro !!!
you'll never regret it.

Just my 2c
it was just an observation mate, you arent a musician, youre a quantity surveyor, or you wouldnt say that. all ive ever done since i walked away from the world of materialism is music and i dont feel i'm a failure, no more so than anyone in any occupation should consider themselves a failure if they are contributing to society in some way.
music is a massively important part of everyone on this planet's life and it requires people who dedicate their lives to it, right from the roadie up to the classical composer, just as it requires quantity surveyors.
and its completely ignorant (thats not an insult, i mean the true meaning of the word) to assume that musicians dont live full, well rounded lives full of challenge and reward.
human beings are more than just the job they do, sweeping generalisations about musicians somehow not caring about the plight of the third world or sitting around wasting time on a 'very shallow pursuit' is bound to evoke a response like this from someone who has effectively been involved in the music business in one way or the other all his adult life.
how would you react if i said that quantity surveyors are responsible for killing our architect's creativity and contributing to a drab cityscape ;)

come on bro, musicians exist for a reason.
Of course they do; i'm not saying musicians don't care about non-music stuff, hell, look at Live 8 (the concert)! (lol!!).

But seriously, i wasn't attacking the musician as a vocation; i mean what a cool job!; i was trying to balance up music itself to the other things in life, in the sense that there is a big difference between a pastime and a career.

Making the choice to pursue music as a career is a big one, especially if you have nothing to fall back on, or aren't releasing music, or making money from it in some way already.

I'm just trying to put things into perspective for the OP, i don't want someone to fck up their future; i mean if he asked, he is unsure; if he's unsure, then its probably better he got both sides of the story!

Music in terms of fashionable culture is such a temporary entity, you need big balls to even contemplate it as a career!

All i can say is, Good Luck Utopian82!!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: Music in terms of fashionable culture is such a temporary entity
this is true, but it doesnt mean you'll be doing the same thing in music at the end of your life as you did at the beginning. i started as a professional drummer at 16, and even was a sound engineer for touring heavy metal bands for a few years (jeez that wasnt much fun) and there are lots of avenues within the music industry like anything else, but you have to get involved and you have to have desire.
if you write it off because of fear, or other peoples percieved fear, then you just werent cut out for it in the first place.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i value happiness more than money. i've worked full time and although i was earning money i wasn't happy because i couldn't do music. i can't balance music, girlfriend and a full time job. i've tried it twice and i was miserable both times. i had money but life without music sucked.

i'd rather live in a shed with nothing but a Pro Tools rig and a few drum machines and synths than live in a nice house or flat, but never have the time to do music.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

steevio wrote:
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote: Music in terms of fashionable culture is such a temporary entity
this is true, but it doesnt mean you'll be doing the same thing in music at the end of your life as you did at the beginning. i started as a professional drummer at 16, and even was a sound engineer for touring heavy metal bands for a few years (jeez that wasnt much fun) and there are lots of avenues within the music industry like anything else, but you have to get involved and you have to have desire.
if you write it off because of fear, or other peoples percieved fear, then you just werent cut out for it in the first place.
Yes thats so true, in all walks of life. Being a Techno don is allot different from being a drummer!

I just see so many people in my home town that do sound engineering / music production courses end up working at the local supermarket, or in some generic distribution warehouse (not that there is anything wrong with that, it just ain't music).

Like literally the employment % must be under 10% going into the music industry. (correct me with some corroborated facts if i'm wrong!!)

Perhaps they don't have the drive / talent to achieve a career in music (my opinion before this thread...)? Or Perhaps they're just happy making music, and work to pay the bills, nothing more.... (which i now realize
must be just as fulfilling for some).

I do believe that hard work can get you to 99% of places you want to be in life though; if you want it enough, you'll probably get it.

My problem is, i want both sides of the coin (who doesn't?); the artistry and the comfortable life. I'm working hard now in the 9-5 career so i can pay off the mortgage early and chill one day. I need to have a pension and security etc; all the boring stuff.