Tuning Percussion

- ask away
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

some sounds have a round pitch (i.e. the pitch goes through different frequencies over time); hence they're *almost* impossible to tune...

You can however make them "fit" into a scale by the sounds overall perceived pitch; the only way to distinguish that is to use your ears.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

tone-def wrote:i don't like tuning everything. i tune some stuff with a tuner and tune by ear as well. if it sound good it's right.
good, im glad to read this, i dont tune sh*t! lol.. :lol:

edit:
or what i mean to say is i tune by ear
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:some sounds have a round pitch (i.e. the pitch goes through different frequencies over time); hence they're *almost* impossible to tune...

You can however make them "fit" into a scale by the sounds overall perceived pitch; the only way to distinguish that is to use your ears.
My sentiments exactly, although I don't think anythings impossible to tune, it can sound right or wrong and that's it. With synthesized stuff you have full control of the frequencies so shouldn't be a problem there, sampled stuff I just go by ear. It's pretty obvious if something doesn't fit, unless you are tone deaf of course.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

just do it by ear. techno is too harmonically varied (across the genre that is, not each track!) for there to be any reliable rules on what sounds good and what doesn't.

lots of people talk about tuning kick drums to the track, but for every great track where the kick fundamental is "in tune" with the track i could name another example where the kick is utterly dissonant. do whatever works for the track in question.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

damagedgoods wrote:
lots of people talk about tuning kick drums to the track, but for every great track where the kick fundamental is "in tune" with the track i could name another example where the kick is utterly dissonant. do whatever works for the track in question.
Yeah I don't really go for that either, a kick ringing out an obvious bass note is just annoying and doesn't allow you to be musically flexible. Let the bass do the musical stuff, a kick is a kick.