ableton collab

- ask away
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

patrick bateman wrote:
Atheory wrote:Sometimes finishing a song isn't the most important thing in the world. Don't put yourself under pressure to have a final product.
Doesn't that really depend on who you are? For me it is all about finishing things...
Of course but sometimes it's good to have a bunch of undone tracks than a few that sucks. What I like about my undone projects is to go get an element of one and then combine it to an ongoing song, which fits more.

I think I have like 100+ unfinished projectsand as Altheory said, it's not the end of the world. 8)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pheek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
Atheory wrote:Sometimes finishing a song isn't the most important thing in the world. Don't put yourself under pressure to have a final product.
Doesn't that really depend on who you are? For me it is all about finishing things...
Of course but sometimes it's good to have a bunch of undone tracks than a few that sucks. What I like about my undone projects is to go get an element of one and then combine it to an ongoing song, which fits more.

I think I have like 100+ unfinished projectsand as Altheory said, it's not the end of the world. 8)
What I meant was. One thing works for you, another thing works for other people.
For me, I surely get most out of trying to finish tracks.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

thanks bionic_eye

most of those tracks on soundcloud are actually unfinished versions.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

patrick bateman wrote:
pheek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

What I meant was. One thing works for you, another thing works for other people.
Yeah of course there's no general law but I assume if someone ask our way of doing things, perhaps he want to try some new approach 8)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

tone-def wrote:the best advice i've been given is always finish what you start. it's a good habit if you want your music to go somewhere. also the more you get into that habit the quicker you become at making tunes.
Im kindof a mish mash on it. Like you when I make a song as soon as I have developed a loop or so I lay out a full6-7 minute structure of the song elements. Then I go back to change the notes, add effects or whatever fits the direction of the song.

On the other hand like Pheek I can't stick on one track until it is done most of the time. Occasionaly I will be able to work on just one if everything is flowing perfectly but most often I get stuck or bored after numerous hours on one song. I have at least 100 unfinished songs that are just simple beats and instruments laid out and I just kinda bounce around to different projects.

every couple of weeks Ill get on one and things are going kick ass and Ill wrap it up in one night but if I dwell on one song at a time I often force the sound in order to get it done and I don't like the end product.

To each his own though. I know more people that do better working on one song until it is done but I just can't work that way.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

pheek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
pheek wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:

Yeah of course there's no general law but I assume if someone ask our way of doing things, perhaps he want to try some new approach
8)
Agreed, and he's been making loops for 4 years and deleting them, so that's why a few of us told him to really try and finish off some songs and get that feeling you get when a track is done.

;)
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

the best advice I got was to stop making loops, but work on one track and keep working on it until it's finished. Otherwise you just keep making little stabby loops but not getting a finished track ever.
So now I simply keep working on a tune till I feel it's right for me.
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

Push the record button when you're jamming around in session view...