Massive Breaks and Effects in Tracks

- ask away
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

yeah patrick i allready explained what i meant

so we are in the producing forum and maybe there are some producers here who give it a thought ..

tension is good, break downs are good but dont overdo it .. a techno track will not have to stand for itself in a club, there will always be a dj who mix something with it and maybe add some effects.

let something left to do for us djs :D
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I truly dislike when great tracks are classified as tools. :(
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

You know what I hate more then that? Tracks that constantly have mini-breakdowns. Maybe only a short duration but it just keeps going up and down. Might be a great sounding track but the structure sucks.

I hate tracks that are too long too. You know how you may just want to mix a track in for couple minutes but the core of the track is so busy that it becomes a challenge to find things that work well. You may have to let the track play out for a extra minute or two before its come down enough to mix nice.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the track i'm making at the moment almost didn't have a break but this thread made my paranoid that my track would only be a tool.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote:the track i'm making at the moment almost didn't have a break but this thread made my paranoid that my track would only be a tool.
all tracks are tools really. just some are very independent and ohers leave a bit more room for the dj.

I make most of my tracks thinking about the dj. Sometimes when I dj it's nice to have a track playing on it's own but sometimes it's nice to do some layering.

iwouldn't worry about what word people use to describe it though.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

haha ^^
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

oblioblioblio wrote: iwouldn't worry about what word people use to describe it though.
i don't mind what people think. it actually made the track better, broke it up a bit. it's not some big over the top breakdown with loads of filter sweeps and a snare roll. i just took the kick out and a few other bits.
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

patrick bateman wrote:
boudo wrote:
tone-def wrote:so breakdowns are the difference between a tools and tracks?
If a track is a 7 minute loop without any major alterations, i would call it a tool (hehe), but if it breaks down, builds up energy, progresses over time, than it's more of a track. Just my opinion on it
yeah, I have to agree. Not many tracks can hold a constant groove without a break now and then. Of course not all tracks needs a 30-60 second break down with big drum roll and white noise and stuff, but still.
Saying that a track shouldn't have this because it's the DJ's responsibility to build this tension is a bit strange in my ears.

And if it's such a big problem, then why don't you just play all the mountain people tracks in your sets and let it groove 8)
wwow i call them songs...