BIG misunderstanding / abuse of being "featured"

- open
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Rochey wrote:@ Trak660

A bio is bastardised DJ promotion dropping names & assosiating with artists that people can relate to make them think we'll if he's played with them he must be good. Most people that go to nights arn't knowledgeable as people on here & if you're gong to see a DJ or artist you havn't heard before then assositing them with people they have then that can give you an idea of what they're gonna be like...

I'm not saying it's a good thing. I just understand why people do it, it's just marketing
The quote below is closer to the point I was going for.
tone-def wrote:i think it's funny when people list who there played with. if you play back to back with Ricardo then it's interesting but i supported _______ at my mates night, makes you sound like a kid.
I'm sure many of us could produce a long list of famous artists who we played on the same night with. :lol: Feeding off of another person's notoriety will not help establish your identity as an artist unless you're looking to be known as a wannabe.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

LouisVee wrote:M_Nus after your name on a flyer = more people at your gig = more $$$ = good "reputation" for the promoter or the club owner = being dissed on mnml.nl
win
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
malle eppie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by malle eppie »

Harrison wrote:
malle eppie wrote:
Harrison wrote:i do hate all the dj feedback that comes with new releases, i couldn't give a fck who else likes it to be honest. i will make my own mind up.

also hate the played alongside thing - pointless!
I think it's usefull because it shows you what kind of release it is (what style). If I see feedback from, for example, raresh, 2000 and one, sven vath etc than I know I don' t have to listen to it because it probably won' t be my kind of record.
how do you know unless you listen to it?
I don't! but should I listen to every record released? it's just an indication and most of the time it's right. I know what most dj's play and what their style is so for me it works. If I see support by DJ Rush, Andreas Wittekind etc. I know enough...

It's the same thing as ignoring some labels and following others. I know what labels might interest me and what not.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

malle eppie wrote:
Harrison wrote:
malle eppie wrote:
Harrison wrote:i do hate all the dj feedback that comes with new releases, i couldn't give a fck who else likes it to be honest. i will make my own mind up.

I think it's usefull because it shows you what kind of release it is (what style). If I see feedback from, for example, raresh, 2000 and one, sven vath etc than I know I don' t have to listen to it because it probably won' t be my kind of record.
I don't! but should I listen to every record released? it's just an indication and most of the time it's right. I know what most dj's play and what their style is so for me it works. If I see support by DJ Rush, Andreas Wittekind etc. I know enough...

It's the same thing as ignoring some labels and following others. I know what labels might interest me and what not.
ok, wittekind and stuff, that's extreme, but let's say Richie plays a track and it's in the comments. It should be dumb not to check it cos you think it'll be different to what you like.

I get your point, but still, filtering by looking at who's playlist a track is on, is not so different from buying a track just because it's caned by a big DJ
malle eppie
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by malle eppie »

Kiani wrote:
malle eppie wrote:
Harrison wrote:
malle eppie wrote:

ok, wittekind and stuff, that's extreme, but let's say Richie plays a track and it's in the comments. It should be dumb not to check it cos you think it'll be different to what you like.

I get your point, but still, filtering by looking at who's playlist a track is on, is not so different from buying a track just because it's caned by a big DJ
there is always more then 1 person giving feedback so I look at them together and make a decision. I know enough about music to find the stuff that I like and leave the things I don't.
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

It depends on how deceptive they are being in the listing. If they are putting M_NUS behind their name on the flyer, then it's a bit sketchy - if it's in the artist bio writeup saying "has tracks supported by....", then it's a bit more whatever - gives me a vague idea of their sound and may prompt me to look them up online.

I don't mind seeing DJ feedback / "supported by..." when browsing releases, usually it brings my attention to an artist I might of otherwise skimmed over - when seeing a long list of producers / titles / labels, and a number of producers I've never heard of before - seeing a recognizable name in the supported by can draw my attention to it when I might have skipped it otherwise.

Depending on my mindset at the time though, I will frequently look for stuff that I don't know. Especially if I'm in a rut of "I'm bored of everything I'm currently listening to", I'm more inclined to check out random names that I've never heard of before.
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Harrison wrote:i couldn't think of anything worse than putting (m_nus) after your name...
How come you have FABRIZIO MAURIZI (M_NUS) at your next event?
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

Depending on my mindset at the time though, I will frequently look for stuff that I don't know. Especially if I'm in a rut of "I'm bored of everything I'm currently listening to", I'm more inclined to check out random names that I've never heard of before.
how can you guess if its true, that is the problem