Korg Electribe ESX-1: Noise Floor Issues??

- ask away
loranga
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loranga »

I bought a matched pair of JJ ECC803S, € 24,90 per pair from http://www.machmat.com/sales/index.htm. With these tubes you loose some gain, but they sound _ALOT_ cleaner then the electro harmonix that come with the box so you can have the volume knob pretty low and the gain knob up high without getting the megadistortion I got with the electro harmonix on high gain.

This got rid of alot of the hiss for me, at least on my machine it seems to come from the volume knob on higher settings. Changing the tubes is a 5 min operation.
will kinsella
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by will kinsella »

this is great! thanks
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

loranga wrote:I bought a matched pair of JJ ECC803S, € 24,90 per pair from http://www.machmat.com/sales/index.htm. With these tubes you loose some gain, but they sound _ALOT_ cleaner then the electro harmonix that come with the box so you can have the volume knob pretty low and the gain knob up high without getting the megadistortion I got with the electro harmonix on high gain.

This got rid of alot of the hiss for me, at least on my machine it seems to come from the volume knob on higher settings. Changing the tubes is a 5 min operation.
double thanks!

I'll be looking into these tubes as well!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

loranga wrote: This got rid of alot of the hiss for me, at least on my machine it seems to come from the volume knob on higher settings. Changing the tubes is a 5 min operation.
thats what my EMX is like.

how much distortion can you get from those tubes? i like driving some sounds through those electro harmonix tubes.
will kinsella
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by will kinsella »

tone-def wrote:
loranga wrote: This got rid of alot of the hiss for me, at least on my machine it seems to come from the volume knob on higher settings. Changing the tubes is a 5 min operation.

how much distortion can you get from those tubes? i like driving some sounds through those electro harmonix tubes.

Its not distortion dude, its horrible broadband noise
loranga
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loranga »

tone-def wrote:

How much? 41.. :P
The tubes effect the sound alot and there are alot of tubes to chose from. I chose these because I wanted a cleaner sound, I think the harmonix are great for some sounds but to me its not really usefull to put that much dist on all sounds.

So to try and answer your question the cleaner JJ's I bought compared to the harmonix give little distortion, almost just warmth and gain. But i still have the harmonix so if i want to really destroy some sound I can just switch back, it takes less then 5 mins. I think age effects the tubesound as well, I bought my esx used.

Whatever tubes you buy though I recomend getting a matched pair, because each tubes handles one channel L/R. You just need to unscrew the plate covering the tubes, and then pull them out by hand its very easy.