Kick drums in dubtechno

- ask away
Esemdi
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Esemdi »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:compression can muffle stuff too! remember that
Yeah, but it can also alter the overall sound of the track.
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

thank you all for the input thus far - much appreciatted
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

zongo wrote:I usually throw away the kick's attack. As cheaper said, no click involved.

I'm too lazy to create my kicks from scratch so I always use very basic samples from classic hardware, then I start the sample after the kick's attack and tweak the attack setting on the sampler on 30 ms or more. I often use layering so I use the same attack parameter on all the kick samples.

Here's an example in a track I'm working on. It's not finished yet (far from it, right now it's only a loop with no automation) but the kick is done : http://soundcloud.com/zzzzra/la-violence-pre-version
ha ha ha, I sent you a msg last week on the discogs forum, didn't realize you on this board too. I love yer stuff on bandcamp...
will kinsella
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by will kinsella »

cool discussion
Salomo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Salomo »

i think its better to chase the kick that YOU think sounds good, instead of generalizing a quite diverse genre and looking for 1 particular kick of THE dubtechno (even with the *sometimes*) as a whole which is silly. i understand you fancy some kicks, just go with the flow and make them how you want them. first make a kick youre content with, EQ it well and dont compress it if not nescesary (atleast dont overdo or youll squeeze life out), first get it to sound perfectly within your gear/vst before adjusting it outside though, try increasing/decreasing attack and release (subtile changes might give you a 'muffled' effect as you describe).
Salomo
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Salomo »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:compression can muffle stuff too! remember that
its stupid really to compress without a very clear purpose, id say its more likely to kill your audio/instrumenttrack than to give the desired results.. unless you fancy a dynamic raped anorexic sound, in that case compress away heheh. dont compress for the compressing but just limit to elements bouncing in the mix and/or ask for some bundling sqeeze, dont fck too much or to soon with a fundament of the track, really. thats my 2cts.
zongo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zongo »

dubgil wrote:
zongo wrote:I usually throw away the kick's attack. As cheaper said, no click involved.

I'm too lazy to create my kicks from scratch so I always use very basic samples from classic hardware, then I start the sample after the kick's attack and tweak the attack setting on the sampler on 30 ms or more. I often use layering so I use the same attack parameter on all the kick samples.

Here's an example in a track I'm working on. It's not finished yet (far from it, right now it's only a loop with no automation) but the kick is done : http://soundcloud.com/zzzzra/la-violence-pre-version
ha ha ha, I sent you a msg last week on the discogs forum, didn't realize you on this board too. I love yer stuff on bandcamp...
Thanks mate !

I hope my input was useful, my english isn't very fluent :oops:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

buonacc wrote:most of the Maurizio/Basic Channel stuff is just straight 909 sounds.
here is the simple answer.

straight 909, no compression, no eq, attack right down.

classic muffled kick sound, cant beat it.