Need help with integrating a Zed 14 mixer into my setup

- ask away
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lluck »

Brankis wrote:
Lluck wrote:
Leandro Barros wrote:Maybe i can help, have a identical setup. If you want use multiple outs, first make sure that have activated all 828 inputs/outputs in Live preferences.

Connect balanced TRS cable from MOTU outputs to each inputs in the ZED.

Select each corresponding MOTU outs in Live tracks.

Use mixer record out to send it back to soundcard,recorder, whatever you use...

Just simple routing :D hope it help!

Maybe I don't know enough about cables. I am doing this setup with simple 1/4 inch cables. How are balances TRS cables different? Perhaps this is the problem....
check to see if the 1/4" tip has one or two black rings. if only a single ring then it's unbalanced.

i would hook up the zed using your alt out as a separate monitor control and use the main balanced XLR output to record in to the motu. better to run balanced for the final recording to avoid any noise/ground loop hum, especially if you are running longer cables

Thanks for your help.....I am not sure what you mean by using the alt out as a monitor control.....also, what kind of cable should I get for the XLR output? Would it just be a single 1/4 inch on the other end to plug into the input on the MOTU?
Leandro Barros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leandro Barros »

Lluck wrote:
Brankis wrote:
Lluck wrote:
Leandro Barros wrote:Maybe i can help, have a identical setup. If you want use multiple outs, first make sure that have activated all 828 inputs/outputs in Live preferences.

Maybe I don't know enough about cables. I am doing this setup with simple 1/4 inch cables. How are balances TRS cables different? Perhaps this is the problem....
check to see if the 1/4" tip has one or two black rings. if only a single ring then it's unbalanced.

i would hook up the zed using your alt out as a separate monitor control and use the main balanced XLR output to record in to the motu. better to run balanced for the final recording to avoid any noise/ground loop hum, especially if you are running longer cables

Thanks for your help.....I am not sure what you mean by using the alt out as a monitor control.....also, what kind of cable should I get for the XLR output? Would it just be a single 1/4 inch on the other end to plug into the input on the MOTU?
I understand what you want, but i usually don´t get the audio from mixer back to Live, just use other program like Sound Studio to record.

To get audio back in Live route all tracks to various channels in mixer and then create other audio track, check in "Audio from" if you have the right input to get the signal from mixer to Live master out.
Leandro Barros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leandro Barros »

Yeah, that´s right. XLR to 1/4" :)
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lluck »

Leandro Barros wrote:
Lluck wrote:
Brankis wrote:
Lluck wrote:

I understand what you want, but i usually don´t get the audio from mixer back to Live, just use other program like Sound Studio to record.

To get audio back in Live route all tracks to various channels in mixer and then create other audio track, check in "Audio from" if you have the right input to get the signal from mixer to Live master out.

Thanks. I understand about recording into Live or some other program......but I am not hearing anything coming from the Zed!
Leandro Barros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leandro Barros »

Lluck wrote:
Leandro Barros wrote:
Lluck wrote:
Brankis wrote:
Lluck wrote:

Thanks. I understand about recording into Live or some other program......but I am not hearing anything coming from the Zed!

Ok ok, if you understand... :shock:
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lluck »

Maybe I don't have the Motu 828 set up correctly for routing outputs and input...
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

LlUck...

I'm not sure where you are at or what your questions are... are you getting audio into the ZED? If not follow the instructions below... if you have a different question can you please restate, you seem frustrated but some of us do not understand your current question.

To configure the outputs from live to each out on the MOTU do the following.

Audio To
[Master]

Change that To
[Ext Out]

Then another dropdown menu appears under that.
should say something like
[|| 1/2]

If you open that up you should have a list of outs. something like
1/2,
3/4,
5/6

This is how you configure the routing for your MOTO on each channel in live.

If you do not see a list with more than 1 set of outputs, your motu is NOT configured in live to use multiple outs. Proceed to next step...

To Configure your soundcard in live
Open up live preferences and Goto the Audio Tab
Set the Audio output device to the MOTU interface (I'm not sure what this is... but it should probably say MOTU ASIO or something whatever drivers it uses).

Then Click "OUTPUT CONFIG"

This will open up a dialog box with all your outputs. You have to enable these.

It should looks something like this...

Enabling these will generally give you MORE latency to deal with... This is why they are off by default...

When you Turn the channels on you'll have the audio outs available in the step i described before.

If this doesn't help... then please restate your question or your current breakdown in your process. Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lluck »

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

I am able to rout Live channels into the Zed, but I don't understand how the channel numbers from MOTU correspond to channels in Zed. For example, I am routing something to ext channel 5, and it comes out from channel 3 in Zed. If I rout it to ext channel 1, nothing happens.....

More questions: what are the inserts for? and what do you rout the AUX outs to?

It's strange, I've never really thought about how a mixer works while mixing only in Live.....