Need help with integrating a Zed 14 mixer into my setup

- ask away
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Need help with integrating a Zed 14 mixer into my setup

Post by Lluck »

I want to try analog mixing, so I got a Zed 14, but I am not sure how to set it up. I have a Motu 828 mkII as my interface. How do I connect the mixer to the interface and to Live?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Get a balanced TRS Cable snake to connect from your MOTU to the zed. you'll probably need a way to get the signal back to the interface... probably just use the record out... RCA to 1/4(unbalanced).

I'm not sure how the MOTU is configured for multiple outs.

However, in live set the outputs configured to be "on" in the preferences. Then in your session view... if you change the output from "Master" to "ext out", there will be another drop down where you can select your channel out.

Was out in philly for a rizumu party a while back to see Christian Bloch, hot sh!t... hope your keeping it live out there. My brother lives out there so I drop in every once in a while. Great City!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lluck »

hydrogen wrote:Get a balanced TRS Cable snake to connect from your MOTU to the zed. you'll probably need a way to get the signal back to the interface... probably just use the record out... RCA to 1/4(unbalanced).

I'm not sure how the MOTU is configured for multiple outs.

However, in live set the outputs configured to be "on" in the preferences. Then in your session view... if you change the output from "Master" to "ext out", there will be another drop down where you can select your channel out.

Was out in philly for a rizumu party a while back to see Christian Bloch, hot sh!t... hope your keeping it live out there. My brother lives out there so I drop in every once in a while. Great City!

Thanks for the reply. It helped me to wrap my head around this.......but stilll I am not getting that channel from Live to play from the Zed.....
Leandro Barros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leandro Barros »

Maybe i can help, have a identical setup. If you want use multiple outs, first make sure that have activated all 828 inputs/outputs in Live preferences.

Connect balanced TRS cable from MOTU outputs to each inputs in the ZED.

Select each corresponding MOTU outs in Live tracks.

Use mixer record out to send it back to soundcard,recorder, whatever you use...

Just simple routing :D hope it help!
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lluck »

Leandro Barros wrote:Maybe i can help, have a identical setup. If you want use multiple outs, first make sure that have activated all 828 inputs/outputs in Live preferences.

Maybe I don't know enough about cables. I am doing this setup with simple 1/4 inch cables. How are balances TRS cables different? Perhaps this is the problem....
Leandro Barros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Leandro Barros »

Lluck wrote:
Leandro Barros wrote:Maybe i can help, have a identical setup. If you want use multiple outs, first make sure that have activated all 828 inputs/outputs in Live preferences.

Maybe I don't know enough about cables. I am doing this setup with simple 1/4 inch cables. How are balances TRS cables different? Perhaps this is the problem....
You doing the setup with right cables. 1/4" TRS jack. This is not the problem here. unbalanced cables are unshielded which means that after a long cable run your signal will pick up more noise, and degrade your signal.. If given the choice, always go with balanced inputs

Have you tried in Live preferences, activate the outs and ins? Get any sound on mixer?

Maybe you can explain how you connected them, it will be easier help you.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

Lluck wrote:

check to see if the 1/4" tip has one or two black rings. if only a single ring then it's unbalanced.

i would hook up the zed using your alt out as a separate monitor control and use the main balanced XLR output to record in to the motu. better to run balanced for the final recording to avoid any noise/ground loop hum, especially if you are running longer cables
Lluck
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Lluck »

Leandro Barros wrote:
Lluck wrote:

You doing the setup with right cables. 1/4" TRS jack. This is not the problem here. unbalanced cables are unshielded which means that after a long cable run your signal will pick up more noise, and degrade your signal.. If given the choice, always go with balanced inputs

Have you tried in Live preferences, activate the outs and ins? Get any sound on mixer?

Maybe you can explain how you connected them, it will be easier help you.

Yes, I activated all outs and ins.......so the output from Live is going into MOTU, and that's what's playing......but how do I get the ZED to affect the sound? I connected the outs from the MOTU to the inputs on the ZED, and I connected the Rec out from the Zed into an input on the Motu...