Sebo K from his recent interview on RA

- open
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

Themis wrote: but you cant compare an live instrument, with producing software.
Producing software is not a instrument even though it makes the same tones.
You're making a contradiction here, Themis... you say you can't compare them but then you made a comparison in the next sentence. :P

I know exactly what Camus is referring to and so you do about instruments and stuff but there's people out there making techno without any computers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26eyBmUw ... r_embedded), or like LCD Soundsystem making house equivalent music with instruments. Is it better because its instruments? If they would do 67 albums with the same sounds, would it be then boring? Is it the sound or the form here that is the problem, that's my main concern here.

Now stop trying to to contain me in my explanations, I don't think it's helping developing on the subject :lol:
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

Why can it not be compared to jazz?
Well, I guess I'm a crazy according to your post because the more i think about it, the more i think techno and jazz have a lot in common. I'm sorry my vision of the 2 things don't matches yours.
well of course it depends on what you call Techno and what you call Jazz , u tell me.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

pheek wrote:I know exactly what Camus is referring to and so you do about instruments and stuff but there's people out there making techno without any computers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26eyBmUw ... r_embedded)
My god... If I came home and walked in on that I wouldn't know what to do... bust a move or bust out the shotgun.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

in some ways it's not really that useful to discuss this topic publically. it doesn't seem like anyone is going to change their personal feelings about it.

the main aspects of jazz that I enjoy, like freedom of expression, and a need for exploration, are kind of ignored when you compare techno to jazz.. as you are already constraining it by comparing it to music with a pre existing form, and looking backwards somewhat.

for me it's better to think about what the music could be, rather than what the music is not going to be. (but sometimes it's very easy to do the latter)

But I do belive that there is common ground between jazz and techno.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

why can't jazz and techno be compared?

or why would someone be crazy to compare them?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

mm i think it's totally plausable to compare the 2. I think in some ways it can be a negative thing, cos you need to pin down certain elements, like structures or other common things in sound, which, in music which I believe to be quite free in it's nature, could be a tricky subject.

But yeah, I think there is almost definitely common gournd between techno and jazz, and I think that maybe the only thing that would stop people from seeing them similarly, is some weird thing of putting jazz in some untouchable historical sanctuary.

I wonder what kind of music some people won't let techno be comapred to in the future. :)
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

lol@historical sanctuary.

yeah, its crazy. what next? funk and soul can't be compared to house/techno.

some people. :roll:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

pfff, the only problem imho is that a lot of people want to be rich/famous/whatever and so they just make the music that is the hype of the moment. Like for the moment everyone seems to be into that Cecile/8bit stuff, so producers are plundering every house / disco / funk track they can find and stick a 4/4 beat under it, et voila. Or the Cadenza stuff of course.
And there's nothing wrong with that. If you're a dj, you can decide for yourself if you want to play that style too or you can buy the things you really like and develope your own style. Or do both. I always cringe when people seem to want to confine dance music to rules and tricks. There are no rules. There are no boundaries. That's just what drew me to the whole thing in the first place.

The same goes for producing: lots of people just want to make money and make whatever the style of the hype is, but a lot of people make music because they feel it, and don't give a toss if it sells 1 or 1000 copies. And that's often the corner where the good stuff is. Or where music takes a step forward.

So, if Sebo K is not happy with the stuff he plays, maybe he should just get off the couch and dive into the records at his local store, or on decks, or beatport, whatever! SO many great records are out there, having been made and still being made as we speak, so why settle for playing average stuff? I can't believe that you would play night after night and say afterwards "this was again a dj set best forgotten fast". really find that strange. I think somewhere he started confusing the "music" with "the industry".