Hardware Setup

- ask away
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

alrighty. lots of stuff people have to say. im kinda thinking that i know i want an mfb 522. sweet sounding little box. i checked out the blofeld, but i do want something with knobs. ive been investigating DIY midi controllers, so i could make a knob box to control the blofeld. how would i go about that?
beam me up
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briobox »

steevio wrote:there's various tricks to get round it, like using a slower attack, shifting the notes forward by varying degrees, and using the length of the note to determine its loudness.
Can you explain what you mean? I've used a 101 for a long time but am not familiar with what you mean. Thanks much - very interested to learn what you are doing.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

MagpieIndustries wrote:Basically I am finding the esx to be totally worthless for anything other than generating a hiss. It's good at that.
haha its totally true

I might try switching the tubes on it just to try it out

maybe chaining a de-esser after might help

in the mean time, ssssssssssss in ssssssolidarity

:lol:
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

briobox wrote:
steevio wrote:there's various tricks to get round it, like using a slower attack, shifting the notes forward by varying degrees, and using the length of the note to determine its loudness.
Can you explain what you mean? I've used a 101 for a long time but am not familiar with what you mean. Thanks much - very interested to learn what you are doing.
if the length of the note is shorter than the attack phase of the envelope it does not reach full loudness, so with a slow(ish) attack the length of the note detremines the loudness till the decay phase is reached, it will only work on sounds which have a slow attack anyway (like shakers). and you have to use envelope mod quite high on the filter.
its quiet fiddly to get right, because you have to move the notes around and try different attack settings, but it works.
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

MagpieIndustries wrote:emu command station is an awesome hardware sequencer, especially if you want to play parts and retain their timing (ie, not quantize everything to a grid of 16ths)

the korg electribes are super hands-on and really really quick and loads of fun to use, but the sound quality is less than desirable
first gen electribes yes,
if you have the latest models, and you swap out the stock tubes for some better ones ($40 investment for the pair) your electribes can sound very "pro" and less thin
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

I agree with Steevio - get an Sh101 if you need a good bass

worst mistake of my life was selling my sh101 (grey)
2nd worst mistake was trading a pristine BLUE sh101 for the grey101 plus $50
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

dubgil wrote:I agree with Steevio - get an Sh101 if you need a good bass

worst mistake of my life was selling my sh101 (grey)
2nd worst mistake was trading a pristine BLUE sh101 for the grey101 plus $50
ouch
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

Android wrote:
MagpieIndustries wrote:Basically I am finding the esx to be totally worthless for anything other than generating a hiss. It's good at that.
haha its totally true

I might try switching the tubes on it just to try it out

maybe chaining a de-esser after might help

in the mean time, ssssssssssss in ssssssolidarity

:lol:
I get no hiss from ESX, I haven't switched out the tubes yet either