Help with my Mix/Mastering (track to listen too)

- ask away
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Help with my Mix/Mastering (track to listen too)

Post by RichardLodge »

Hi guys

I need some help with my productions. I feel like my mixes are getting to a good place, however when I master them myself I can never get the volume of other tracks. I know this subject has been mentioned again and again on this forum but I've included a link to my track to see if anyone can help specifically with it.

After watching and reading various tutorials it seems that although you'll obviously never get the same quality as a pro mastering house it should be possible to get the volume so you can try out tracks in you DJ sets. This makes me think that it might be down to my mix, and certain elements taking up too much headroom. Would be great to get some constructive comments.

For this track I used Logic 7 with Sonalksis EQ, Sonalksis Compressor, T-Rack deluxe for mastering, Vengeance samples.

you can listen too the track without downloading (though feel free to do so)

http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/70526067/file.html

thanks for any help you can give
Richard

P.s In return if there's anything in the track that people like but don't know how to do just ask.
loureed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loureed »

well your kick is very flat and boring
and then your bass intersects withthe kick drum making everything sound stupid

i think you'r elooking for more attack with your intruments rathier than making it louder

also that white noise is very harsh and i couldn't eq it out
also i think if i were you i'd turn down the rim's

i ran your track through my equipment
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2073866/foh%20p ... ut%208.mp3

i also added a transient under your entire track to make the kick stand out a lot more
its quite noisey
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

Wow, really like what you did to the kick. What gear do you have? and what do you mean by transient over the whole track? I use camel phat to try and add attack to some of the higher elements but i don't really know if that's worked.
loureed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loureed »

i've got a bunch of sh!t but you're mostly hearing a niioanalog track thickener and a dbx distressor at work

i put a small blip of sound under the kick with a sequencer

isn't the phat thing distortion? id try one of those transient designers...but you don't need that stuff just don't start your track with flat kick drums because you obviously don't like them
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

I'm assuming when you say 'bunch of sh!t' you mean some hardware? If you got it to sound like that in the box then you're a genius. Sounds like a valve compressor.. distressor maybe?

Could you possibly send me the blip you put under the kick? I like quite flat kicks but you're right needs something higher up, I usually layer a quite suby kick with a high passed kick with short release and decay. But sounds like you've used almost filtered white noise?

thank's so much, this is really helpful.
loureed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loureed »

yeah distressor
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2073866/project ... ut%205.wav
it came from a machinedrum
RichardLodge
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RichardLodge »

hmm.. need to save some money up I think. do you have two distressors then, they're mono aren't they?
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

:shock: :shock: :shock: