loud, quality tracks - am i doing it wrong

- ask away
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

if your home master doesnt sound as loud as other professional masters, there a lot of reasons the most common is:

1) shitty mix

2) too much low end in the mix, which forms point 1)
nastybobby
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nastybobby »

briobox wrote:
I also put compression on the mix (ableton's - sometimes two in a row - wrong?) but still not getting that loudness.

Do you mean you put two instances of a compressor on 1 channel?

If yes then it's not a a good idea really [something of an understatement there], this could be one of the reasons why your mix is not sounding LOUD.

Try doing some research into why and how to use compression/limiting. There's plenty of stuff out there [sorry can't think of any 1 'tutorial' 'off the top of my head' somebody here will point you in the right direction I'm sure]

As for slamming your stereo mix/file through an L2 and some alternatives. An 'all in one' 'mastering solution' such as T-Racks or Izotope Ozone are cheaper and will do the job you want [with some coaxing]. Although, if you are using a fairly up to date version of Live, then you've got every tool Ozone/T-Racks has without having to spend any more money/learn a new app!

Honestly, i wouldn't worry about 'mastering/loudness'. Just concentrate on getting the mix how you want it to sound.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

nastybobby wrote:
briobox wrote:
I also put compression on the mix (ableton's - sometimes two in a row - wrong?) but still not getting that loudness.

Do you mean you put two instances of a compressor on 1 channel?

If yes then it's not a a good idea really [something of an understatement there], this could be one of the reasons why your mix is not sounding LOUD.
here's some research for you...

quote from John Tejada's "Machine Love" interview on Resident Advisor

"I'd suggest trying multiple compressors in series. I know guys with huge hardware rigs that use this as their secret weapon and it works with software as well. Some compressors are good for overall gain while others sound great for their attack and release to give the sound a bit of shape."

full interview here

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1009

Robert Babicz also suggests using compressors in series in this well documented interview about mastering

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbsmDzENdE
Last edited by Brankis on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

fck, always double post!
briobox
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by briobox »

Brankis wrote:

"I'd suggest trying multiple compressors in series. I know guys with huge hardware rigs that use this as their secret weapon and it works with software as well. Some compressors are good for overall gain while others sound great for their attack and release to give the sound a bit of shape."

full interview here

Robert Babicz also suggests using compressors in series in this well documented interview about mastering

Very interesting. I've always felt it was a bit "wrong" but it does sound good. Many times each compressor is configured similar as well. I've tried to work out in my mind why I should not be able to get the same effect using only compressor but couldn't figure it out. As they say, if it sounds right it is right I suppose.

The double in series compressors gives me good gelling of the mix but still not loud in the end (again, not LOUD loud, just loud enough to make things sound like an average - which right now mine do not. Mine are much too low in volume).

I will work on it more tonight.
eOx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by eOx »

hey, i´m really interested in mastering, it´s really fun to learn more about it.

if you like you can send me the track than i can take an ear on it, if you want?

...Olli
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

briobox wrote:
Brankis wrote:

full interview here

Very interesting. I've always felt it was a bit "wrong" but it does sound good. Many times each compressor is configured similar as well. I've tried to work out in my mind why I should not be able to get the same effect using only compressor but couldn't figure it out. As they say, if it sounds right it is right I suppose.

The double in series compressors gives me good gelling of the mix but still not loud in the end (again, not LOUD loud, just loud enough to make things sound like an average - which right now mine do not. Mine are much too low in volume).

I will work on it more tonight.
one thing to think about is the type of compression. i have tried almost every software compressor and it eventually led me down the hardware route. there is no comparison. you have to go legit though, meaning dont cheap out. of course you could always just send it off for mixing like all the guys on minus :)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Could you post a sample of your work, so we can hear how it sounds? (maybe you're just too critical towards your own)