Here's A Loaded Question????

- open
Der geile Ami
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Der geile Ami »

I hope the future of house and techno is to rely more on live musicianship and less on sycophancy. Work that drum machine, have a friend play keys, horns, or just noise along side, get out that laptop and controller and let the loops fly. Stuff like narod niki, contakt, or aether is not exactly new in concept, but on the right track to allow producers to share a musical vision together. I hope that with time, laptop supergroups become less of a novelty for sepcial showcases and festivals, and rather a danceable genre-less standard at parties.

Or, continue doing the same thing as for the last 30 years and stay stuck in these silly hype and hanger on trends.
freeeeeee
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

@Ami

seriously i dont hope that !

this live music is extremly boring.
track to track is the ultimate thing, nothing goes beyond that.

the rest i find kind of funny, as warmup, or from time to time.

But in the end there should always be a good DJ playing track to track.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't think DJing is the thing we need to talk about. I think the producers are the ones who will push the music forward, they are the ones making the music after all.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Themis wrote:....in the end there should always be a good DJ playing track to track.
+1

Techno and house are meant to be presented in the DJ mix format. It's supposed to be music for dance clubs, raves, etc. where people are looking for non-stop music. As far as the future goes, I hope this aspect of what we do always remains.

Stylistically, there are still many roads to travel. We'll keep finding new ways to stay funky. Otherwise, it's all over.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Christ Lewis wrote:
Atheory wrote:where are all these examples of people pushing the technology to the max with digital djing, btw?
I've discovered traktor 3 can't adjust key while the tracks plays backward, sped up by the pitch bend and having an effect over it (if I remember correctly). I guess that's one example of pushing a new technology to the max. All I'm trying to say, we're out there. ;)
yes, i'm familiar with all the possibilities of digital djing, i just wonder if people are using it to the max. i haven't really heard the evidence. Yes, DE9, such a long time ago and a good example of what COULD be done.

I don't really have a preference for how someone should or shouldn't dj, pulling apart bits and pieces of tracks to make new ones could be interesting if done by the right person, with a good ear and good selection. its nice to mix it up really. but the majority are just using the sync button and cueing up tracks for the computer to mix. i'd be embarresed to do that and call myself a Dj.
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

I think we should just start a subforum with all of the "future of minimal" debates, which seem to account for a good 25% of the threads around here.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

techno was always about the future so what do you expect?