Here's A Loaded Question????

- open
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

cloutier wrote:http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/words/200 ... ostello-1/

donnacha puts it out there how it is...and, for the most part, i follow his stance. i'd like to see people quit being so microscopic and go back to letting records breath...which is why i've been playing less and less serato (though i'm moving to traktor scratch) and more and more vinyl again.

donnacha costello's article wrote: I headed down to see the last hour of Daniel Bell's DJ set. I wish I had arrived earlier as I haven't enjoyed a DJ set so much in many years. Dan was playing indescribably great house records and, for a little while, I danced like no-one was watching. It felt good.

Watching him play was an education, the set was all vinyl and executed respectfully and expertly. He simply chose a record, cued it, mixed with little fuss or fanfare, and continued in this way record after record. I say he played "respectfully" because he allowed each record to do its own thing before introducing the next with subtlety and again allowing it to do its own thing.

Great records in the hands of a great DJ can take on greater significance but I fear that this is becoming forgotten and the kind of skill exhibited By Dan that afternoon will one day be a lost art.

The effect of today's technical milieu and the ceaseless tech-evangelism of one or two of our most prominent DJs seems to be that younger DJs are being encouraged to use new tools to re-edit, loop, chop and combine music to conform to their own personal view of how music should be and to make it their own. (sic)
I totally agree with Donnacha here, I would hate to see producers being demoted to mere providers of loops and tools for dj's. It's definitely one of the things that are scary about the future. I've always seen dj-ing as playing musical pieces the way the producers wanted it to sound. Some edits can be made of course like the disco jocks did back in the day. But layering 5 loops of 5 different tracks just because you can sounds more like showcasing technology then playing records (vinyl or digital).

I'm wondering if technology will simply take over the dj-part entirely and phase out the "human dj". Ah well... che sara sara
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

dsat wrote:I totally agree with Donnacha here, I would hate to see producers being demoted to mere providers of loops and tools for dj's. It's definitely one of the things that are scary about the future. I've always seen dj-ing as playing musical pieces the way the producers wanted it to sound. Some edits can be made of course like the disco jocks did back in the day. But layering 5 loops of 5 different tracks just because you can sounds more like showcasing technology then playing records (vinyl or digital).

I'm wondering if technology will simply take over the dj-part entirely and phase out the "human dj". Ah well... che sara sara

precisely. i always felt that it was kind of insulting to have a producer make a track, which is composed in a specific way as an expression of himself, and you just chop it to bits and layer it with fifteen other nondescript loops.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

dsat wrote:che sara sara
heh...

"que sera, sera..."
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Celltek wrote:The future of minimal was kidnapped by Ricardo Villalobos in the summer of 2007.
i don't know if you mean he (still) is the sound of the future -so you like him- or that he distroyed any future possibilities for minimal music...?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Kiani wrote:
Celltek wrote:The future of minimal was kidnapped by Ricardo Villalobos in the summer of 2007.
lmao! :D :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

cloutier wrote:http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/words/200 ... ostello-1/

donnacha puts it out there how it is...and, for the most part, i follow his stance. i'd like to see people quit being so microscopic and go back to letting records breath...which is why i've been playing less and less serato (though i'm moving to traktor scratch) and more and more vinyl again.

donnacha costello's article wrote: I headed down to see the last hour of Daniel Bell's DJ set. I wish I had arrived earlier as I haven't enjoyed a DJ set so much in many years. Dan was playing indescribably great house records and, for a little while, I danced like no-one was watching. It felt good.

Watching him play was an education, the set was all vinyl and executed respectfully and expertly. He simply chose a record, cued it, mixed with little fuss or fanfare, and continued in this way record after record. I say he played "respectfully" because he allowed each record to do its own thing before introducing the next with subtlety and again allowing it to do its own thing.

Great records in the hands of a great DJ can take on greater significance but I fear that this is becoming forgotten and the kind of skill exhibited By Dan that afternoon will one day be a lost art.

The effect of today's technical milieu and the ceaseless tech-evangelism of one or two of our most prominent DJs seems to be that younger DJs are being encouraged to use new tools to re-edit, loop, chop and combine music to conform to their own personal view of how music should be and to make it their own. (sic)
I think theres room for both ways of DJing. I think its a matter of the how u feel and approach the decks that night or the vibe of the room, more the first thing though I think.

I dont approve of cutting sh!t up into bits and mixing it in Ableton, but using the parts of the records that u need to create your own sound for that set, I think theres nothing wrong with that. Traktors 4 decks is a great platform to do just that.

With house though, I think the records need to breathe more or less. Still the ultimate variable though, I think, is your mood for that night, whether u wanna get in and get your hands dirty or just sit back and let it flow.
MannyLedezma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by MannyLedezma »

Nice, I like where this is going. My point to this loaded question is to hear what the actual community that plays, produces, and is passionate about this genre thinks. As a DJ/Producer sometimes I'm torn.

The producer side of me wants people to hear my tracks. But at the same time as a DJ, I refuse to be a glorified juke box. I think the art in DJing has all but vanished. So many people play track to track, intro to outro, and call it a day. While I do respect the producers work on the track, I respect the DJs art in taking multiple tracks and layering them together and creating with them. Maybe it's because I was a DJ first, or started back when there were only vinyl or whatever. That's a reason why I've always been drawn to genres like minimal, house, and techno. You can create so easily with them. They are layer-able. I remember Chicago house was nothing but loops back in the day. Now I still use cds to play and haven't went over to traktor yet. But I can see both sides of the argument of just taking looped individual sounds and creating your own tracks live. DJ producing live right on stage.

I've never played over seas where edm has always been embraced; but in the states, the crowds (in more places then not) don't look or appreciate the creativity in mixing. They look for familiar popular tracks and thats that. Maybe it's a viscous circle being as DJing is an instant gratification type thing so the DJs wanting to become superstars or wanting to be liked by the crowd just train them with the same popular tracks mixing intro to outro.

As a label we are always wanting to know what the community is thinking about the future of edm. Sure we would like to make money from our venture and have tracks on the top ten of Beatport. We do have to make quota to keep our label there; but we are more in tuned with and would like to stay as up front and as underground as possible.
=============
Illegal Alien Records
=============

Upcoming Releases:

- JPLS Remix of Pantera Nov. 18th
- Kyle Geiger Remix of P2AC2 Feb. 24th 2010
- Perc Remix Mar. 10th of 2010

- Check out my latest release "Las Cuerdas"
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

cloutier wrote:...which is why i've been playing less and less serato (though i'm moving to traktor scratch) and more and more vinyl again.
i agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly—esp when you choose tracks that deserve to be played through to near completion. but how does serato fit into the looping/mucking about equation?...unless you actually use their clumsy looping function.