Setting up a record label

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

daveashe wrote:Dont jump right into vinyl - its a very costly expense and counter-intuitive in the modern age, you need to have a vision, test it out with your market and see what kind of response you get with digital first.
your more likely to get on Beatport if you have some vinyl releases already. They make it so hard for new digital labels to get on beatport. you need 6 unreleased EP's with professional mastering, professional website, professional myspace before they even consider you.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Love the optimism Steevio! There will always be Two Sides of the coin!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Brian Ffar
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brian Ffar »

hydrogen wrote:Love the optimism Steevio! There will always be Two Sides of the coin!
I call tails :)
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tbag »

Thanks Steevio, you've said alot of things that I've been thinking there...

I'm sick to death of mp3's i cant stand them and I believe proper 'real' music should be on vinyl. There are a huge amount of 'record only' labels around at the moment and there records always seem to sell well (thats obviously down to the quality side of things) but thats what I suppose would be the drive of running a label for me. Putting out music that has soul and that you'd want to have a piece of it in years to come, not just a file lying somewhere on a hard drive.
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

bravo, well said sir !

vinyl lives!
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

what do people even mean by "real" or "proper"?

isn't whats "real" subjective. go to a rock music forum and i'm sure there so loads of people talking about their music and tastes being more "real" than house or techno.

i don't think i'd be able to name a digital only label off the top of my head or anything, but surely what those people are doing is real too?

there was a reggie dokes track i wanted to get for a friend the other day and after looking for it for ages i realised it was digital only. does that make it less real?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

if you only buy vinyl what good is a digital label?

even though i'm setting up a digital label i see it more as a step to something bigger.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Im with Steevio.
Don't be afraid to do what you want to do.
Don't be afraid to get stuck with vinyl boxes under the bed just like no one here is afraid to get stuck with hardware, NFR software ect.
If you would've said its for the money, i would say no. but if you really feel that this is the direction for you, than absolutely, go for it. the worst thing that can happen is that you will say to yourself that you had a good run and you will be happy that you tried. i think it's better than keep wondering for the rest of your life.
money is not everything, how would our world would look like if no one never took any risk? we would probably would be listening to the same rock and roll music from 50 years ago and you wouldn't know what a synthesizer is.
as long its about your passion you will earn something from it. might not be money, but you sure will earn something else.

Stomper.