- ask away
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

A&H ZED question

Post by topperanza »

so here it is:
:D

i´d like to start mixing OTB, and was thinking about getting a Allen&Heat ZED 14.
my question is: will i be able to stream all my tracks/busses through its channel strips and then the main output back in the computer WITHOUT a soundcard?

thanks in advance!
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

No, not on the Zed14.

The Zed-r16 is the only one with this functionality.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

any good alternatives then?
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

not yet.
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

this might be asking a bit much but if someone who owns an analog board and mixes otb to maybes do an a/b comparison of a drum loop, one thats mixed itb and the other otb? would be very cool to hear the differences! 8)
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

gowans wrote:this might be asking a bit much but if someone who owns an analog board and mixes otb to maybes do an a/b comparison of a drum loop, one thats mixed itb and the other otb? would be very cool to hear the differences! 8)
From what i imagine... you aren't gonna hear much. Its going to sound different but thats probably about it. Could be the difference between playing your music on one set of monitors or another.

From what I understand there are a couple key differences between OTB and ITB mixing.

1. Process, The mix process is different, everything is physical, you are right there riding the levels when you need to, you aren't looking at a computer screen to make adjustments.

2. Analog Circuitry overdriving. Just sounds good OTB(On certain gear). Don't think this one can really be explained. :D

3. Noise and nuance, you'll get some good noise from the mixer and will have nuances of being physical. This doesn't happen in the computer where everything is accurate and stale.

An important thing to point out, I think its been mentioned before in other threads... is that you just won't get much out of getting an inexpensive mixer like one of these basic Zeds or mackies of the same pricerange. (I'm not talking about the R16, its a bit different). If you want something better than ITB mixing, you'll want something a bit more highend. at least in the $3000+ range. On this board there has been talk of SoundCraft and TOFT. Both look like pretty awesome mixers from what I've read.

Again, if your on a budget, you can make due with anything. And if your itching to go out of the box i'm sure you can come up with good sound with whatever you choose to use. Its just easier on some setups.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

Not analogue but the Korg Zero 8 mixer will allow you to do all of this (and then some).
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

you don't need an expensive mixer, this quote from Juan Maclean on resident advisor gets to the point. I personally have the cheapest Zed (Zed14) mixer and i love it for getting that extra separation in the mix, mainly just with groups

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1045

" I'm a big advocate of getting outside your computer, using as much hardware as possible. I made so many tracks with just a few pieces of gear, like my old Akai S1000, Waldorf Q and a Juno 106. Just having stuff like that and a cheap mixer sounds loads better than doing everything in the computer with soft synths. "