Post by miniKAT »

douche
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Who are the most influential Djs & producers of all

Post by dubgil »

future_jack wrote:Hi guys,
I heard Jeff Mills and Derrick May are two of the most influential djs around but I havnt listened to there sets.

Is the general consensus here agree or disagree with the above and what other dj's are very influential.

Can anybody also point me on what's sets I should listen to so I can understand what's these guys have produced that's special?

Thanks.
Often underrated - but I enjoy him a lot - FRANKIE BONES
bennytwohats
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by bennytwohats »

This is probably on a different tip to alot of stuff on here but the Autonomic boys (D Bridge, Instra:mental, ASC etc.) are really doing something special right now.
I've never heard anything like it really and the quality is of an incredibly high standard. Podcasts here: http://www.club-autonomic.com/
They all start with an influences section which i tend to skip, the podcast usually begins arounds 15 minutes in.

For a good idea of the sound they are pushing check out ASC's Focus Inwards here: http://www.myspace.com/ascintexsystems
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Derrick Carter is probably high up on many people's list. Seeing Terrence Parker beat juggle "We Should Get Back Together" was certainly inspiring, especially with that telephone up to his ear! :lol:
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

Frankie Knuckles was the first, so off course he's influential
Larry Levan was the first real DJ that putted his own sound, some sort of mysticism, into DJ sets.

On the other hand the Bellville three for taking the sound from post-disco house to the futuristic techno setting

Then there was Beltram, with his unknown production skills

Also the Underground Resistance crew to take up the political message

Europe early house culture had Paul Oakenfold and the Shoom DJ's

Then Hawtin with the minimal techno.

Derrick Carter also off course!

And now there is Villalobos :)
wax works
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by wax works »

I wasn't going to comment in here but 7 pages and no Basic Channel?
dzan
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dzan »

iainkerr7 wrote:I wasn't going to comment in here but 7 pages and no Basic Channel?
of course, definitively. ;)

other artists i want to mention are people like marc leclair (akufen). i respect his work and conception alot, akufen is one of these musicians who don't need a name to identify his tracks, you know. as dj he also has a very personal style, especially because of his mixture of minimal and house.

daniel bell has also great affect to today's electronic music, as dj, producer and performer. in addition there should be mentioned artists like baby ford, luke solomon, richie hawtin, zip, thomas melchior, dj sneak, mr. g, eddie richards and so on...

beside artists there are also enough labels, of course, which lead the music in a certain way. i would count names such as classic, perlon, music for freaks, minus (at least the old stuff), playhouse & ongaku, mosaic, cabinet, logistic...

well, this refers only to my own experiences and opinion about influence on electronic music. names like jeff mills and robert hood are already mentioned, so... ah, and don't forget octave one.
infernal.techno
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by infernal.techno »

Kiani wrote:Frankie Knuckles was the first, so off course he's influential
the first?

Frankie knuckles, for me, is my least influential and favorite of the early house djs. And I love all of that Chicago House in the 80s

A warehouse set a few years back was nail in coffin
- matt