Livesets forbidden to record.

- open
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

jfever wrote:I think its sad on the big DJ's for not allowing folks to record there sets. People record proffessional singers and rappers when they perfom. Why when someone is just making money off of playing pre-recorded music that now all of a sudden you cant record? If you dont want people recording and analysing your sets. Then dont become a proffessional DJ. People pay these people sh!t loads just to mix for 1 or 2 hours. Times are rough these days for all of us, and your making money by just showing up and mixing pre-recorded music??!!! And you never want anybody to record your sets for promo reasons??!!! Then, stop DJing and only make money creating tracks. a pro DJ is going to get judged and critiqued everywhere he goes. Thats part of the job. Entertain the masses, and go about your business!! And if your sets are sh!t and recorded, then thats proof that nobody should pay to see you. There are atleast a million people who would like to be in your shoes!!
giving a recording of your sets is not in the contract of performing live. I don't know where you get this information is from. But no i don't allow anybody to record my sets if they want to hear unreleased material. That is end of issue. If they insist... they don't get to hear any of mine or my friends tracks. Sorry but there just isn't much else to say about the issue too many people trying to rip those and play them in their sets. I'm not having it.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

jfever wrote:I think its sad on the big DJ's for not allowing folks to record there sets. People record proffessional singers and rappers when they perfom. Why when someone is just making money off of playing pre-recorded music that now all of a sudden you cant record? If you dont want people recording and analysing your sets. Then dont become a proffessional DJ. People pay these people sh!t loads just to mix for 1 or 2 hours. Times are rough these days for all of us, and your making money by just showing up and mixing pre-recorded music??!!! And you never want anybody to record your sets for promo reasons??!!! Then, stop DJing and only make money creating tracks. a pro DJ is going to get judged and critiqued everywhere he goes. Thats part of the job. Entertain the masses, and go about your business!! And if your sets are sh!t and recorded, then thats proof that nobody should pay to see you. There are atleast a million people who would like to be in your shoes!!
Strong 3rd post!
jfever
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jfever »

hydrogen wrote:
Then get the tracks your playing out watermarked. Your obviously a rich conglomorate superstar taking advantage of people with music passion. There is no more love for music these days!!
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

surely, its their choice? the money is for a LIVE PERFORMANCE, thats it. a person should have control over how their work is digested. because they get paid money doesn't mean you own them.
juhokusti
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by juhokusti »

Atheory wrote:because they get paid money doesn't mean you own them.
well put.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

jfever wrote:Then get the tracks your playing out watermarked. Your obviously a rich conglomorate superstar taking advantage of people with music passion. There is no more love for music these days!!
haha... watermarking... so the people that paid to hear the live show and the promoters to hear the show can listen to the watermark!? that makes no sense.

Clearly there is no love for music when greedy people rip your mp3 live set and play that in their dj sets because they want a piece of you without paying or waiting for the release.

Double Edge.

Anyways... where is all this money those dj's are making? Most DJ's that I know that make it big really don't get paid that much and are barely scaping by.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
jfever
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by jfever »

hydrogen wrote:
jfever wrote:Then get the tracks your playing out watermarked. Your obviously a rich conglomorate superstar taking advantage of people with music passion. There is no more love for music these days!!
haha... watermarking... so the people that paid to hear the live show and the promoters to hear the show can listen to the watermark!? that makes no sense.

Clearly there is no love for music when greedy people rip your mp3 live set and play that in their dj sets because they want a piece of you without paying or waiting for the release.

Double Edge.

Well, welcome to the real world. Most Dj's I know work a 9 to 5. All I'm saying, is more dj's need to be less stubborn and allow free promotion of there work. I just feel in a genres of music in "underground" or "indie" subculture there are far too many wanna be superstars. I would try not to get suckered in those types of contracts then. I would like to hear more sets from dj's recorded live in clubs and alot of people would like that also.

Anyways... where is all this money those dj's are making? Most DJ's that I know that make it big really don't get paid that much and are barely scaping by.
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by chrisdisco »

what pisses me off with stuff like this is the sense of entitlement many people on the internet seem to have. why *should* you have access to livesets? why should djs and liveacts automatically record and share their sets? surely the artists themselves should have some kind of control and veto about what happens to their live performances, whether they should stay at that particular moment or be recorded and shared.

as it is, we are incredibly lucky with the amount of mixes, podcasts and live recordings that are available. why cant you just be grateful for all this amaznig music you get for free, rather than complaining?