mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I'm using Live 7.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

live 7 definitely sounds inferior to cubase to me.

does live 8 have a new engine ?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:
i think anyone can adapt the ableton platform to how they want to work, just experiment with it.
+1

About quality issues I think they made most of the chnages in version 7. They released a paper on the topic then...

http://www.ableton.com/_common/downloads/manuals/7 0/audio_fact_sheet-en.pdf

It's not all words that I can personlly understand, but I think the general gist is that it should be transparent when working with unwarped audio (e.g. maybe from vsts) and therefore shouldn't sound worse than any other DAW if you're careful about certain things (which it recommeds at the end).

Though personally I haven't tested it against anything else, so maybe there are some differences that aren't accounted for in, say, the cubase engine.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Cubase defo sounds better. I get a fuller, clearer sound out of Cubase.

I love Ableton's workflow though. I love the clip mode and how you can record your tracks live. I have never been very good at sequencing, so doing it live means my tunes now flow a lot better.

Abletons audio editing is also very good. Just sticking any loop into the mix and it being in time is a great little tool.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

software is just like everything else eg. synths etc. they all seem to have different sound qualities, personally i would never record audio into ableton, i always use cubase when recording from my analogue desk.

however ableton 7 is so much better than previous incarnations for sound quality, before 7 i could hardly use ableton at all, i found the sound really poor (and i'm not talking about warping etc. just playing clips back)
now i'm quite happy to use it in a live situation, but in the studio, still not for me.
i still think the warping isnt good enough, i would rather speed up and slow down my live set slightly than use anything but the mildest warping.
if i'm DJing any of my own tunes with it, i will record in from the vinyl pitched to approx the correct tempo on the 1210, rather than warp the original wav. excessively.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

After going to my mates studio a number of time to check out his working methods, Ive recently started using Nuendo4 (pretty much Cubase). Its so much better for mixing down my Ableton projects. My tracks sound so much cleaner and I seem to have a lot more control over the mixdown. They also seem to sound louder when I bounce the tracks down.

Ive just upgraded from Ableton 8 (from 6) and it does sound much better.
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by db2 »

Tom Cosm had a great workshop on this subject that covered most of the basics. I think it's available free on his website under tutorial videos, 'on live electronic music pt1-5'.

http://www.cosm.co.nz/index.php?option= ... os&catid=3
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by db2 »

Actually I think it was this vid, ' moving from the studio to performance' that gave a quick succinct method for moving productions to the live arena.

http://www.cosm.co.nz/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=94