Who are the most influential Djs & producers of all time

- open
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

future_jack wrote: Hmm ok then - let's limit what I mean by influence and innovative to artistic and pioneer merit only.

It would be nice if some more could join in to get the ball rolling. I think this could be an interesting conversation.
there's too much scope in this discussion really. John Peel is almost certainly the most influential dj of all time, but he wasn't really innovative or artistic or pioneering.

Villalobos was seriously influential too, but I think that it's his productions that have done more to change things.

Too much scope imo. cos the discussion reaches into so many different areas. do you mean which dj affected more peoples lives. which dj pushed forward the style of music, and therefore I guess pushed forward musical boundaries. lots of djs were pioneering just becuase they were in contact with musicians in one place and an audience in a different place, like I guess people who brought dub to England.
Last edited by oblioblioblio on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

Robert Hood
you are what you tweed
future_jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by future_jack »

oblioblioblio wrote:
future_jack wrote: Hmm ok then - let's limit what I mean by influence and innovative to artistic and pioneer merit only.

It would be nice if some more could join in to get the ball rolling. I think this could be an interesting conversation.
there's too much scope in this discussion really. John Peel is almost certainly the most influential dj of all time, but he wasn't really innovative or artistic or pioneering.

Villalobos was seriously influential too, but I think that it's his productions that have done more to change things.

Too much scope imo.
Nowhere we can start, no? Maybe limited to techno or even break it down further to start.
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

future_jack wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:

Too much scope imo.
Nowhere we can start, no? Maybe limited to techno or even break it down further to start.
kindly fck off?
future_jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by future_jack »

oblioblioblio wrote:

Too much scope imo. cos the discussion reaches into so many different areas. do you mean which dj affected more peoples lives. which dj pushed forward the style of music, and therefore I guess pushed forward musical boundaries. lots of djs were pioneering just becuase they were in contact with musicians in one place and an audience in a different place, like I guess people who brought dub to England.
Yeah I want to know who pushed forward styles that changed boundaries and even producers who have come up with very original ideas inside their tracks which may have not actually moved forward big styles but maybe small style changes. Would be very interested in people could point out their findings in these areas over the years of listening to dance music.

Of course all the above applies to dj's aswell and how they set moods and do different things. I'm just on a discovery process myself after having attention difficulties over the years I finally have it under control and am embarking on interests and things I've wanted to know more about for years. If you share your findings it will make it easier for me to discover them rather than listening to years and years of music and trying to decrypt it myself. I'm sure many others would be interested in this also.

Thanks.
future_jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by future_jack »

primevil wrote:
future_jack wrote:
oblioblioblio wrote:

Too much scope imo.
kindly fck off?
Why don't you find something more useful to do like comment on threads your actually interested in.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

you're seriously going to stir up a metric sh!t-ton of drama with such an esoteric question like this.

and besides, no two people will have the same opinion, so its more of a "just google it" and poking around websites. everyone's story is different, no one really has the whole truth, and no matter who you talk to, someone else did it first.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
future_jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by future_jack »

cloutier wrote:you're seriously going to stir up a metric sh!t-ton of drama with such an esoteric question like this.

and besides, no two people will have the same opinion, so its more of a "just google it" and poking around websites. everyone's story is different, no one really has the whole truth, and no matter who you talk to, someone else did it first.
Someone else did it first? The truth is in the music, no?