Who are the most influential Djs & producers of all time

- open
future_jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Who are the most influential Djs & producers of all time

Post by future_jack »

Hi guys,
I heard Jeff Mills and Derrick May are two of the most influential djs around but I havnt listened to there sets.

Is the general consensus here agree or disagree with the above and what other dj's are very influential.

Can anybody also point me on what's sets I should listen to so I can understand what's these guys have produced that's special?

Thanks.
Last edited by future_jack on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Richie Hawtin
Ricardo Villalobos
Daniel Bell
Frankie Knuckles
Laurent Garnier
Derrick Carter
Carl Cox
Andrew Weatherall
Sven Vath
Craig Richards
Sasha
John Digweed
Fabio
Grooverider
DJ Hype
DJ EZ
Paul Van Dyk
Grandmaster Flash
Tom Middleton
Electrifying Mojo

there are a lot of influential DJ's, i don't like some of the DJ's i've listen but there influenced a lot of people.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

cloutier wrote:Image
spot on
future_jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by future_jack »

tone-def wrote:Richie Hawtin
Ricardo Villalobos
Daniel Bell
Frankie Knuckles
Laurent Garnier
Derrick Carter
Carl Cox
Andrew Weatherall
Sven Vath
Craig Richards
Sasha
John Digweed
Fabio
Grooverider
DJ Hype
DJ EZ
Paul Van Dyk
Grandmaster Flash
Tom Middleton
Electrifying Mojo

there are a lot of influential DJ's, i don't like some of the DJ's i've listen but there influenced a lot of people.
Thanks for that. Specific sets that stand out to you though aswell?

Basically I'm not looking for a general idea - I'm looking to listen to sets that have specifically done something new that sparked a change in other producers or influenced producers.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i don't know really most dj's listed have be legends in the respected scenes for years. it's hard to pick a few good sets. your best bet is to go and see them in a club.
future_jack
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by future_jack »

tone-def wrote:i don't know really most dj's listed have be legends in the respected scenes for years. it's hard to pick a few good sets. your best bet is to go and see them in a club.
No proper clubs near me so I'm gonna need to do this at home.

I know certain atmospheres created in clubs make something different etc.

I'm more interested in marked changes in styles and perhaps ultimately to have something fabric in chronological order. I want to dig deep here basically.

It's no good to me that Pete Tong has bigged up a Dj on his show or that the minus lable has just signed up the latest and greatest. I want to to recognize that stuff myself.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Derrick May and Jeff Mills have both been very influetial on the whole american thing with fast mixing and hard pue techno trax. Try googling for the wizard (jeff mills) sets. I found a page with some of these. It's very early radio mixes from him but they give you a good feeling of were techno is comming from. Also i would give Richie Hawtins "decks efx and 909" mix to see were the fast kind of mixing went later on.

I'm not sure really who best defines the slower and more "let the track talk for itself" berlin style but i guess alot of Ostgut Ton DJs do this so check out any of the Berghain mixes.

Also have a listen to any Larry Levan or Walter Gibbons mix you can find these disco mixes have influenced everybody that ever wanted to DJ and also alot of modern housier disco DJs sound a bit like these guys.