Art Tubefire 8 - anyone use one?

- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Art Tubefire 8 - anyone use one?

Post by Phase Ghost »

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeFire8/

I was reading up on this last night and seemed to see mixed reviews. Some loved it, some thought it colored the sound too much, etc. I never saw one anywhere, so can't really demo one. Anyone on here ever use one? It looks interesting, plus it's rocking tubes. It's pretty much between this and a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. The TubeFire doesn't have midi, but my midi keyboard is running through USB and can handle midi duties.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm not an expert on tubes, but i know that there are two types of circuits, one where the tube is operating at a much higher temperature, and this is what you want.
the lower temperature designs are little more than marketing ploys, 'tubes for tubes sake'. ( like in the electribes etc.)

i'm sure there are electronics geeks on the forum who know more about this, hopefully someone will respond, but its worth looking into it.
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

i would say that anything for this cheap with 8 tubes is probably not going to be really useable tube quality
ThisWayUp
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ThisWayUp »

Hmm it seems very cheap to me in comparison with the cost of 'pro' tube gear.

Edit :

Check this review in Sound on Sound if you can't get a demo of one anywhere :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug09/a ... efire8.htm
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Update: I ended up getting the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I found one new in the box for $389.00 US on eBay so I grabbed it (they're $495.00 most everywhere).

Overall the Saffire had loads more reviews and people seem to really like them, so that's what I went with.
docindo.dorsey
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by docindo.dorsey »

thats a shame... not saying that the saffire pro is not a good interface but because i bought a tubefire 8.. and i really like it.. you definitely have to do some research but remember if you buy something you always have time to take it back.. at least 15-30 days.. i researched forums that had to do more with engineering.. Sound on Sound is a good place to start but they do have to answer to the advertisers... and i don't care what interface or piece of gear it is.. they will never rip something completely apart because that is potential revenue. Check out TapeOp magazine. It's free and i love the magazine because it always has gear i can't afford but it makes me think how i can get my gear and my sound to do the same thing. you can put a tube plugin on things all day but they are just trying to mimic the real thing..

so i have an ESX-1 and a lot of people say those are not real tubes cuz they are not expensive.. well when i turn the knob up... i hear a difference. Same with the tubefire... I overdrive somethings on purpose to get that tube distortion and guess what... i hear a difference there too.. oh me oh my!!
and there are people on the net that talk about changing the tubes out..if you are looking for a little more.

just remember one thing.. and this is merely an example...

james holden is credited with beginning his career producing music with a free software program called Buzz... i downloaded it and couldn't make anything work but he did and he hopefully is enjoying his career... so how much or how good does it really have to be.. some of the best recordings are not on the best gear but the person sitting in the control booth needs to have a little imagination... we are always striving for the CLEANEST sound.. and i think that its making things a little flat.. where is the grittiness... oh that's rite i have this plugin that adds the grit. the next time you are producing something... throw a little dirt on it.. :)
the shadows are moving....
topperanza
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by topperanza »

docindo.dorsey wrote:the next time you are producing something... throw a little dirt on it.. :)
...the last thing i remember is...

https://soundcloud.com/topper
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I was battling which one to buy, but in the end decided on the Saffire. I'm all about the grit and read the tape op and sound on sound review of the tubefire. I'm not really sure what made me decide on the Saffire, but I plan on keeping it.

After about 13 years of making music with computers, I've just recently stepped into the analog realm and using outboard gear. Hence, my need for a new interface. I could always pick up a tube stomp box or something for some tube grit. I'm waiting on my prophet 8 to come in Friday. I pretty much dropped all the cash I had saved up for a project car to rebuild on gear (saffire pro, mopho and prophet 8), but after making some wicked ass sounds on that mopho I see why people claim computers can't emualte analog fatness.