Warm-up DJ's

- open
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Kiani wrote:
pheek wrote:
miniKAT wrote:I have also noticed a flipside to this coin. I have witnessed a few times (maybe 4-5), where the opening act didnt hold back and blew away the headliner and people loved it. Although it was mostly when the opening act is a well known DJ but not a superstar like the headliner and when the headliner comes on around 3. If the moments right and the vibe is good, one can get a good buzz like "yo, he blew away that so and so".
I understand your point of view and from the public's perspective, it looks impressive the opener blew the headliner away but from the other perspective, it's an epic fail. I mean, if your prime time is the headliner and there's a huge drop of energy because someone's ego didn't follow the plan, then everyone loses at it.

I don't know where the competition comes from. Its a one night show where everyone should work hand in hand to make sure everyone has a trip. No?
I agree with Pheek here. I've witnessed alot of nights where the headliner couldn't keep up. That's mostly not the headliners fault, it's just because the previous DJ didn't give him any chance.

i really hate when this happens, it's about the night, not the individual.

I like doing the afterhours slot, actually, i only do this. You only got the real party people there, there's no pressure and you can basically play the weirdest things you can imagine
No, its def. a valid point, and a night can def. be ruined, but that just shows that the headliner didnt earn his damn spot. If u a headliner and you're supposed to have skills and talent that people are paying to see, u better know how to keep the vibe and the crowd. A lot of superstars aren't as hungry anymore and they blame the guy before them," oh he fucked everything up, whatta asshole" instead of going "hey, step aside son, let me show u a thing or 2" and proving why they're at where they're at.
I believe that most vibes and moods of a room can be quickly changed by having a intro (maybe something dark suspenseful or whatever mood u want ur set to be) and then going into the right first track can totally make things go the way u want them to.
i hate when people blame everything but themselves for bad nights. In Russia there's a saying: "A bad dancer will always blame his shoes" , well it rhymes in russian and sounds a bit funnier, but u get the point.

Again I must stress that this applies to only certain situations and not when your spot is 10 or 11. I'm jus saying if its your time to shine and the room and vibe is right, do your thing (within reason) and if the headliner is really a "headliner" then he should know what to do.
Pettro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Pettro »

How many and which moods can a dancefloor have?
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

Pettro wrote:How many and which moods can a dancefloor have?
It can be in a bad mood, or an angry mood, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

lets say the headliner is someone well know for playing deep house but the warm up dj wants to play like jeff mills. who's wrong?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote:lets say the headliner is someone well know for playing deep house but the warm up dj wants to play like jeff mills. who's wrong?
the organisers (imo)
miniKAT
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

tone-def wrote:lets say the headliner is someone well know for playing deep house but the warm up dj wants to play like jeff mills. who's wrong?
The promoter
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Pettro wrote:How many and which moods can a dancefloor have?
this is true as well. it doesn't need to be 'on' or 'off' like slow music moving into fast. there are lots of directions. but I think with edm especially it's about building something over a long period of time. and I think it's important that there is a natural flow to the night.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

@ oblioblioblio & miniKAT

yes, i guess it is the promoter they shouldn't give the kids a chance. but the promoter can't be blamed for the warm up getting carried away and playing harder and faster.