How long have you been making music for?

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote:It's funny, I remember the early days when I didn't understand what I was doing and everything was either stumbled upon by happy accidents or experimented with through trial and error. There's a sort of magic innocence in that and it leads to some unique stuff. Ignorance is bliss.

I'd love to get into that again as I often feel what I'm doing is a little contrived but my current set-up doesn't allow for that type of writing.
I feel like this.

If I listen to my early tracks I kind of wish to have that open mind to sound again. Just kind of throwing things in becuase they sounded nice.

I too feel like the stuff I do now is sometimes more contrived. I approach it differently. I treat stuff with more seriousness sometimes. In some ways that's a good thing, but also to have that innocence and youthfulness in your approach is good too.

I guess it's about trying to tread a balanced line between experience and throwing experience out of the window. ha ha.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Played Drums , Piano at 7 until I was 15, picked them up with the guitar at 17, became a trained in jazz guitar.

Got my first turntable at 10 years old, with one mixer and a invisible scratch pickles vhs, stopped mixing at 18.

During my schooling for jazz guitar I started to dabble with live experimentation with electronica.

Started producing electronically seriously 3 years ago.

Been writing music for 7 years now. 3 years of electronica.
JEZMONDO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JEZMONDO »

I played in bands since a kid,got into making electronic stuff in the mid 90s. Just had my first 2 netlabel releases and more requests for material to release....you got to keep trying
:P
by the way making music still gives me a massive buzz!
Daegon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daegon »

1 year this November!
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Fast Tracker... 1995... 14 years? sh!t... I still love every minute of making it. :D
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Hugues31
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hugues31 »

Its been now 5 years ... First contact with "production" was with ... ejay... Hopefully like I said it was 5 years ago :lol: :lol: :lol:
We had our first netrelease almost 2 years ago i think
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i don't think it's something that you can properly say 'this was the day that i started'. If I look back, I learnt just as much about music from say, listening to a certain album for the first time, than I did from being able to play a scale for the first time or made my first synth patch from scratch.

About when you first release music. I actually released music that I made during my first few months of 'properly' playing with electronic audio. But this wasn't becuase I was in a rush to get my sounds out. It was a year or two after and some friends were starting a low key label with exerpimental ideas, and my early sounds fit their ideas. I wouldn't have released my tracks if I didn't think there was something nice in them.

I think it takes a long while for you to really blossom as a musician, to find your niche and to be in a real personal harmony with your equipment and your musical intentions (or however you want to explain it), and so yeah, I think patience on that is very very key, but what I would like to say is that lack of experience doesn't necessarily mean bad ideas. (not that anyone said that)
Luis Isaac
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Luis Isaac »

I started classical studies at the age of 4. My parents used to take me to the instruments shop so I could study in a "real" piano; i was rebel and I always played improvisations so I was failed at that school. Later at the age of 14 I join to a rock and roll band playing keyboards. I friend of me owned a KorgM1 that was almost year 1992 and I friend of me owned a Korg M1 workstation. I was jealous of that machine with such capabilities. At 18 started playing with fasttracker 2 and that was a music solution for 486 Cpus Pc's. It was a magic time you were collectin samples and puzzling them. Later at the university i got Orion and then tryed to make songs but I was too caothic in my life to get decent tracks
At 26 I came to Barcelona and got my first serious decent Daw, Pc,with monitors and now I'm 31 still havent released but proud because it is a long way but I hope with patience this year may be my year ;)