mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it was an imac G5
daveashe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by daveashe »

Buy a PC, then you can swap the components if they break. There is a device that allows you to run OSX legally without any hacks:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/EFiX-Hac ... 7968.shtml

http://www.efi-x.com/

Check it out
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

Well what will you be doing mostly? Home production or live gigs? I fly for a living, so I wanted the portable macbookpro and I obssesed about my big plans of this portable studio I'd bring to hotels!!!, but in reality, most of my time is really spent productively and enjoyably when I'm at home, so i'm getting the 24"Imac( I had to forsee myself with both computers and envision what was gonna make me happier). Ive done so much research on the Imac and imo it's a great computer.I personnaly want the screen real estate of the 24" because I think 15" would get on my nerves.For the road, I have a 15" dellbook pro!!!(':D') and it runs perfectly, no lie, so for now it'll do and maybe at some point down the road i'll "upgrade"to a macbook pro.
JEZMONDO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JEZMONDO »

I am very happy with my 24 inch Imac although the 20 inch would have been fine.....don't buy a PC.... unless you like stress.
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

yeah yeah, everyone uses mac, including my flatmate

well i use pc. same laptop for 4 years - no upgrades. XP with service pack 1. it runs Logic Platinum 5 and Live. i've got access to much more software than my flatmate has. he spends a full day swapping parts, swearing and having bizarre issues while i'm happily producing. loads of freeware for pc.

i mean, in this day and age there is really no reason to have issues with a PC. So now Dell laptops are accetable for music prod? they're pretty affordable aren't they?

whatever you choose, you should get a laptop - because these days, it's all about playing LIVE.
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

daveashe wrote:Buy a PC, then you can swap the components if they break. There is a device that allows you to run OSX legally without any hacks:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/EFiX-Hac ... 7968.shtml

http://www.efi-x.com/

Check it out
Once you go Mac, you never go back.

@OP

If you're thinking about going live in a short term, go MBP. It's the complete solution. You'll have access to making music where and whenever you want. Ok, the usb and firewire are limited, but you'll figure something out for that.
you are what you tweed
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Go with the iMac. Personally, I can't handle laptops for full time use. I use my macbook for dj'ing and interneting (on it now) in the living room, but couldn't use it full time.

I was actually debating upgrading from my hackintosh to a real mac and giving my hackintosh to my 17 year old brother.

The thing is: I don't like the all in one layout of the imac. If the monitor goes, the whole thing goes. I like the configuration options as far as the processor and what not, but the all in one is a big turn off. Plus, how much of the cost is that uber expensive apple display? My guess is...a lot.

I was looking at mac mini's too, but their specs are too weak. Those fucking pricks at apple could put a bigger processor and hard drive in those, but they make the specs just shitty enough so you have to upgrade.

The Pro's are overpriced in my opinion. For one thing, the quad core should have 4 gigs of RAM standard, although the upgrade from 3 to 6 isn't too bad. Still, $2500 is way too much. maybe, $1,750, but not $2500.

Throw a 2.66 core2duo with 4gb ram in a mac mini case or something just a bit bigger and I'd be happy. That would make too much sense though. I'll just keep rocking my hackintosh I guess.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i think i'm swinging towards the macbook pro. i'm a logic user and it's all macs at uni so PC isn't an option. unless i go for imac for production and PC for live. but at the moment i'm thinking get the macbook now and get an imac in a couple of years if i feel it's needed.