Producers losing hope in a crowded, insular scene

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'd like to expand on the 30 seconds thing, because it might seem harsh or lazy to some people.

when i listen to a track if the groove doesnt immedeately sit right, or a sound is unpleasant to me or is a type of synth sound i've never liked, or it's blatantly a rip-off of basic channel etc etc...... then theres no point in me listening any further. its as simple as that.

i also think that alot of the constructive criticism i see is 'destructive criticism'
based on the critic's personal taste, and is more likely to make beginners want to give up.

i agree with BLM, you should wait till you've got the basics sorted and a decent solid tune before posting. its just too easy to knock a tune up and post it on a forum before you're anywhere near ready.
i think its counter productive.
loureed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loureed »

very negative post;

i don't think you guys really like or understand techno house

this highbrow hate, and extreme thirst to get away from cliches and mainstream-ness.. do you people never listen to the radio?

this side of this website is so ridged

everyone seems extremely depressed, not in the spirit of house music at all
running in circles over the same thing...getting nowhere, staring at ableton or a machinedrum for hours on end
arguing about analog warmth when the end product is just another cold and lifeless soul in the sea of niche music

i think there is a better place for you all idmforums.com or whatever
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^^

you don't really seem to know too much about people.

*edti*

just thinking more about your post, its the first really negative post in the thread.

The main theme of the thread is trying to be more supportive of other peoples/achiving a better understanding of peoples work.

Trying to make something worthwhile can be a difficult thing that can a be a fairly solo experience and so people can lose confidence in what they are doing from time to time. But thats humans.

I'm not sure if you can self appoint yourself as the regulator of what house is/should be anyway. if you think that house is only about one mood of upbeat, gospel driven celebration, i would imagine that if you listen and think more about the social conditions that house music became popular in (and i guess more importantly the types of people who drove those scenes) then you might have a different view of the music.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Well I have to say about the people putting things up on a forum and wanting feedback. Music is a social thing and will hopefully continue to be. I love making music on my own just sitting in my room dancing to what i made, but I'm still human after a while i wan't to call my roommate in and say "hey check out this wicked thing i just made" and i think it's kind of the same with this forum and others like it. It's fun to share stuff with people who like similar things, It's as simple as that and I for one think it's a good thing.

I haven't had a single track released (would i love for it to happen? yes) will i stop making music if it dosen't? No! And i hopefully belive this is the case for alot of people on this forum.

Loureed I think you read to much into the posts here.

*edit*

Atheory hits it spot on.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

loureed wrote:

arguing about analog warmth when the end product is just another cold and lifeless soul in the sea of niche music
Not just a negative post but a fairly ignorant one. For a start, although we aren't that rigid to claim it's possible to entirely separate techno from house these days, nevertheless this is a forum primarily about techno. As I'm sure you know, a large part of techno's lineage comes from northern Europe, born out of a typically Teutonic attention to detail when utilising technology. This lineage was never about music full of "soul", at least in an obvious sense. To me it was music designed to capture the cold calculation of the modern world using the cold calculation of machines.

The fact you beleive "techno house" should always be uplifting and full of "soul" shows that in truth it is you who doesn't understand this music.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

loureed wrote:very negative post;

this highbrow hate, and extreme thirst to get away from cliches and mainstream-ness.. do you people never listen to the radio?

this side of this website is so ridged

running in circles over the same thing...getting nowhere, staring at ableton or a machinedrum for hours on end

i think there is a better place for you all idmforums.com or whatever
yeah your post is very negative;

what's this highbrow hate ?

everyone seems depressed ?? where do you get that from ?
i cant speak for anyone else but i'm happy and optimistic.

if any of that was directed at me from my previous post, then maybe you missed my point. while i do have a thirst to get away from cliches, (i'll admit that freely), i was just trying explain why i can tell whether i like something or not very quickly when i listen to it. it doesnt matter what kind of music / art it is, i know what i like, and i think that is a natural human condition, you can apply it to anything in life.
if you put food in your mouth and you dont like it, you dont need to chew it for 5 minutes to decide.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:i'd like to expand on the 30 seconds thing, because it might seem harsh or lazy to some people.

when i listen to a track if the groove doesnt immedeately sit right, or a sound is unpleasant to me or is a type of synth sound i've never liked, or it's blatantly a rip-off of basic channel etc etc...... then theres no point in me listening any further. its as simple as that.

i also think that alot of the constructive criticism i see is 'destructive criticism'
based on the critic's personal taste, and is more likely to make beginners want to give up.

i agree with BLM, you should wait till you've got the basics sorted and a decent solid tune before posting. its just too easy to knock a tune up and post it on a forum before you're anywhere near ready.

I can tell in less then 30 seconds for all the same reasons as you.
superk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by superk »

steevio wrote:i'd like to expand on the 30 seconds thing, because it might seem harsh or lazy to some people.

I have actually just got some inspiration from this post. Over the last few years of producing/learning I have occasionally posted on the forum. Several times I have been very close to prematurely posting one of my average (to date) tracks. I have always stopped myself (just about) knowing deep down that it simply isn't up to standard. Its hard to spend years on your own trying to perfect something without much feedback but to be honest this is actually what I have come to like about it. There is something quite exciting about battling it out on your own with occasional small successes to drive you on.

People really just have to accept as with ANYTHING in this world if you really really want to get up to a high/above average level that you just have to put in the hours/days/weeks/months and yes lets be very honest YEARS of deep work on your own.

Instinctually, this is what humans actually get satisfaction from anyway!

For me it is much more exciting to sit back for the ride and then maybe in a few years come out of my studio (ok bedroom) with something that actually shows how much time I put into it.