Softsynths & Tuning

- ask away
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Softsynths & Tuning

Post by db2 »

If I load up several instances of, say rob papen stuff, NI stuff, some logic stuff, how come they tend to be out of tune with each other. I figure having these all tuned correctly would be a very basic thing!

Sometimes when you change the osc or fundamental tuning of a patch it changes the characteristics of the patch in a negative way. Anyone else have this out of tune experience?
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

could be a number of things, one of them being distortion on 2nd or 3rd harmonics, bringing out the other notes more profoundly than the note you are playing.

What type of sounds are you noticing not being in tune with one another?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Softsynths & Tuning

Post by oblioblioblio »

db2 wrote:
Sometimes when you change the osc or fundamental tuning of a patch it changes the characteristics of the patch in a negative way. Anyone else have this out of tune experience?
soft synths should never chnage tuning unless you tell them too, or there is a bug of some sort.

possibly the second issue you mention is due to some positions in the synth being static (e.g. self resonating filter), and this position therefore drifts out of sync when the tuning of oscialltors is changed.

Also it is normal for synth patches to sound different at different pitches, but normally this is only significantly notceable with a change in pitch greater than an octave.
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by db2 »

Yeah, I'm talking being out of tune on really basic musical patches. They're in tune with other synths from the same company, but out of tune with some others. Really strange. I'll have to do some deeper testing on it.
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by sherman »

Maybe take a look at it through a frequency analyser to check you are hearing what you expect? I've never had this issue, but that would be my first step.[/url]
-- sherman
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

if you are using presets the tunings could easily be different :D