mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ronterklabe »

i think you technopeople take too many drugs
patcha
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by patcha »

i dont remember what last minus EP was really close to my heart and i dont want to begin another boring disccusion about why and who's fault is this.
maybe if i just discovered that sound today my reaction could be more surprising. This is not awful and i could never wrote such a negative feedback, you can use more representative words to describe your feelings Heron.
Anyway...this ep isn't so good what i expected but i hear really big work what Kevin put into this release and i repected it. "Nineteen" sounds really good, like the groove and atmosphere, "claps 808" is a good tool like Camea said and i think its should work used in a good way. Last track is more experiment and its good. Like Ambivalent work and think its a one of the best m_inus release since long time:)
nightgrooves
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nightgrooves »

i honestly think that anyone who knows Heron would know that he really had no bad intentions in writing what he wrote. Knowing him pretty good I might say he was just too disappointed in this release or he expected something... I know exactly how much he CARES about music, especially staff that is coming from minus crew, not to mention huge respect and admiration to the label boss. Such a nice guy he is would never heart a fly, especially his fellow musicians. I must add again that he was probably disappointed. And I'm not trying to defend a guy or start another debate or take sides. This is my fully honest opinion!
Back to the subject, the release, i think i like it. Amazing sound design, but not sure if I would play it.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Pretty sad to see a "scene" that is so small and insecure that nobody is able to be blunt and forthright, and worse nobody will pass up the opportunity to ingratiate themselves with any big name that rolls by. The producer like the scene needs to be robust enough to withstand fair and even brutal criticism, or neither are in great health.

For me, the tried and tested/derivative 8th note synth pulse of "Nineteen" will work very well on most floors, but to listen to and dissect, it's fairly primitive.

Twenty Six employs a solid, ominous bass texture and more inventive percussion programming, but is one of those tracks that feels stuck in the build up phase without really delivering.

808 clap is a tool, no more no less, albeit a pretty mundane one.

In general I think these are tracks you'd probably dismiss on other labels. Where's the mutation and development of timbres, the employment of interesting arrangement structure, the development of real suspense? Of course, this is Hawtin's greatest trick: what would be considered lazy and half-baked elsewhere becomes the unwavering purity of Minus' minimal aesthetic.
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
kickser
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kickser »

First of all, LOL @ the discussion. I mean, should Heron act like he likes the release? NO! It's better to give a true criticism to an artist than a kissing ass one! I mean, in comparision with Ambivalent's other works this is nothing. Please Camea and Tim Xavier be honest to yourself, you both know better than all we how much better Ambivalent can produce. Just remeber the "R U OK EP" and the "Palindrome EP" or the remix for "deception the real"!
inspired by minus heimatmelodie misc. carlos N lee curtis and many more
upekah
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by upekah »

kickser wrote:I mean, should Heron act like he likes the release?
I think that's what it hasn't the whole thing been about :?
It's about saying "awful" instead of something more polite maybe but I don't care really , I like this release
plaster wrote:you can't be a leader if are a follower.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Dusk wrote:In general I think these are tracks you'd probably dismiss on other labels.
that's basically it. if this was on an obscure label I doubt anyone would buy it, or at best it would get some criticism thown at it that would surely be a bit more blunt than a simple 'awfull'.
Anyway, by the time this topic is over they'll probably have two other releases out already ;)
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

Dusk wrote:Pretty sad to see a "scene" that is so small and insecure that nobody is able to be blunt and forthright, and worse nobody will pass up the opportunity to ingratiate themselves with any big name that rolls by. The producer like the scene needs to be robust enough to withstand fair and even brutal criticism, or neither are in great health.

For me, the tried and tested/derivative 8th note synth pulse of "Nineteen" will work very well on most floors, but to listen to and dissect, it's fairly primitive.

Twenty Six employs a solid, ominous bass texture and more inventive percussion programming, but is one of those tracks that feels stuck in the build up phase without really delivering.

808 clap is a tool, no more no less, albeit a pretty mundane one.

In general I think these are tracks you'd probably dismiss on other labels. Where's the mutation and development of timbres, the employment of interesting arrangement structure, the development of real suspense? Of course, this is Hawtin's greatest trick: what would be considered lazy and half-baked elsewhere becomes the unwavering purity of Minus' minimal aesthetic.
bingo!