do you dj too?

- ask away
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

do you dj too?

Post by regler »

Purely out of curiosity I'd like to know how many producers here dj too (digital, vinyl, cdj, only at home, doesn't matter).

I think it's a great addition, because you have to look deeper into the music as if you are 'just' listening to it and it's a good training for your 'rhythmical hearing'. Of cause you can analyse music just by listening to it too, but when you dj you're forced to do it and it's fun (at least for me..).
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

used to gig a lot. then 6-7 years ago i sold my turntables and gave away my records and bought a sampler and a synth.

now i make music that about 4 people like.

a smart move. :D
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I started a thread kinda on this topic a while back on another forum. It might be of interest!!

http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=24181
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

Raddler: Thanks!

An interesting addition to this question would be, do you buy music regularly(cd, vinyl, mp3 tracks)? Are you informed about the releases in your musical niche?

Or do you just listen to the various sets (from RA for example)?

Or do you listen mainly to your own music?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I dj with vinyl and digital for my own tracks and a few others. i buy records when i can afford them, i would buy more if i could.
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

I love djing but dont really play out anymore, partly because ive moved away from my home town and partly because no one in a 50mile radius seems to like the music i like!

I still mix records whenever i can though, mainly vinyl but sometimes CD & Traktor too. Its the cost of vinyl that really hurts but it is worth the money.

I think DJing is a lost art in todays world, no one really seems to care about it anymore which is a real shame.

Long live vinyl
zarbeat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by zarbeat »

lets see i used to dj back 10 years ago all over mexico then moved to chicago found my self in a very crew controlled scene and i almost never dj anymore ,I used to have a web cast every friday where I would Dj along with special guest ;also my studio still had the decks up and runing and I use digital ( Traktor since it fist came out and every one used to tell me traktor sucked) used to own a bunch of vynil till my exwife didnt let me get them back after the divorce so after that i went digital after that painful experience
I buy new track at least once a month currently have a 25,000 or so tracks on my drive ut to be honest with you there is'nt anything else I enjoy more than doing live ps'a on Ableton I get invites to play here and there but not as often as I used to I like to do hybrid set ups u know 2 laptops one running traktor and another laptop running live but its to much work having to take all that crap around and most of the time the money wasn't worth doing it so ..thats it :D
computer controlled
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by computer controlled »

I"ve been DJing since 1993. Strictly vinyl.
Synths:
SH-101.TB-303.Juno-1.EuroRack Modular Synth.Evolver.TX81Z.CZ-101
Drum Machines:
TR-707.Machinedrum UWmkI
And Various Effects