When is enough enough?

- ask away
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

isaaclevy wrote: has anyone got rid of anything and then regreat?
my laptop.

i sold it when i got my imac but if i had started using it for playing live i probably would have played a lot more gigs.
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

tone-def wrote:i'm always wanting MORE when it comes to hardware. I've got a list of about £5000 worth of stuff i don't just want but i feel i need. I'm not interested in samples. i deleted loads and now all my sounds come from my equipment, software instruments or i've recorded it.
Funny I spent about 1/2 year last year getting all these professionally made samples, loops, etc. I spent more time aquiring them than actually using them (i.e. I never used them) Just taking up HD space
computer controlled
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by computer controlled »

Does an artist ever have enough paint?
Synths:
SH-101.TB-303.Juno-1.EuroRack Modular Synth.Evolver.TX81Z.CZ-101
Drum Machines:
TR-707.Machinedrum UWmkI
And Various Effects
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

selling my SH101, everything else not so much.
My Arp AXXE, only miss it cuz it was in museum shapen and I just loved staring at it:) But I didn't use it much so out the door it went
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Every piece of gear/software sounds different... it's not like you can't make good music with just one piece, but the more you have, the wider the palette of sounds you can achieve. You certainly don't NEED more than one sampler and one really great synth, but it's always nice to have options, even the best sounding thing ever might not suit the best for that particular track. Minimoog might be the greatest monosynth ever, but when you also have a 303, an ARP, SH-101, MS-20 etc, you can achieve so much more.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I regret selling my SH101.

I also regret selling my Raveolution 309.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
sherman
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: When is enough enough?

Post by sherman »

I find I either spend hours playing with new gear / software, _or_ I spend hours making music. Not too often do I seem to do both...
-- sherman
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

The original poster is lucky that he has developed this attitude so early on. I would rather hear someone who spent a lot of time working on how they think about music than somebody who is hording gear hoping it will make the music for them.

Seems like a lot of folks over spend on their studios due to a lack of good ideas. Their touring careers and releases schedules tend to bare this out.