need some brainwashing... these sequencer

- ask away
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

need some brainwashing... these sequencer

Post by regler »

hello,
I really need some brainwashing, I'm stuck in one of the dumbest traps out there: I can't decide if I want to use ableton or cubase... I know its' ridiculous but I can't get over it and I haven't finished a track in the last month because of this. It's sad.I know both programs inside out. I know that it's only a problem in my mind, both are really powerful.

Let me explain my problem... if I work in ableton and I know that a certain thing is better in cubase, my creativity is instantly gone and I think about switching to cubase and vice versa. I think a problem is that I know them both too good. ;)

For example, I like the midi editor more in cubase and I like to have it on my second screen, while the effect system with racks is so much better in ableton and so on and so on. I think it's easier to write melodies in cubase. In abletons small midi editor I'm trend to write 2 or 4 bar long melodies, while in cubase, due the better overview, I write them much longer and you can see all midi part in one editor (a big +1 for harmonical stuff)

The funny thing is that I've wrote some of my best harmonical melodies in ableton, although I think that cubase is much more suitable for this kind of work.

Furthermore I think that ableton is more vulnerable to "loopitis" (I have to say I almost work in' arrange view' in ableton, I use it like cubase most of the time) but at the end it's all about your imagination and the hard work you put in and not about the sequencer, even though it may have a small influence.

Yeah I know the conclusion, both are great, but I just can't get over it. I tried to force me to use ableton but 2 days later the "old" question was in my mind again. Does someone here had a similar problem and how did you get over it?
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

cant you "rewire" the sound from cubase into ableton?
thus using both at the same time
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

cubase is only a rewire master. I could rewire ableton to cubase, but
a rewire slave (in this case ableton) can't use vsti (I use reaktor a lot) and MTC is not reliable enough, at least not in my set up. did a lot of testing. :roll:
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

I personally have a problem with all sequencers and computer interfaces. They are so clunky and obtrusive.

My suggestion. use them both. When something becomes difficult continue through it or let it rest for a while. Sometimes the difficulties can lead to fatigue.

Another suggestion, write down the pros and cons of each editor. You can do this while working on tracks... like i don't like this or i like this because its ez.

Then... take those and compare. Make your choice... or... Take all the pros on one list and see if you can somehow apply them in your mind or relearn how to do that in the other software.

I have a similar problem with buzz, reason and ableton. I dislike the sequencers in all of them. But each has their special little goodness.

One thing in ableton I hate is automation sequencing... its just impossible to find sh!t, expand all the automation channels automatically and you can't make clips of automation. The new reason has it all figured out.

Cheers to the future when we can map our hands to the data we want to manipulate.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

don't know if i am missing something...
but how about using cubase as rewire master, ableton as slave with separate outs and reaktor directly in a cubase midi track?
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

Thanks so far for your answers, it's good to hear what other people think.

as I said before, the problem with rewire slaves is:

- you can't use vst and vstI
- you have no audio in (can't use it as an FX generator for cubase)
- no midi out

so it's pretty useless for me as a production tool as I don't use loops. I wish there were a rewire 2.0 without the mentioned restrictions.

I guess I have just to ditch one or as hydrogen said: use them both and just export the audio if I want to change the sequencer.

I like the minimalist gear approach, that's why I want to get rid of every thing I don't really need. And I like the idea to use only one tool and really get proficient with it. Like a piano player practice the piano and don't change between the piano and the guitar every time.

Hmm, maybe this attitude is wrong in this case.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

regler wrote:I like the minimalist gear approach, that's why I want to get rid of every thing I don't really need. And I like the idea to use only one tool and really get proficient with it. Like a piano player practice the piano and don't change between the piano and the guitar every time.

Hmm, maybe this attitude is wrong in this case.
I think this is the wrong attitude since you already own reason... i mean... how awesome is it just to load up a quick redrum patch or template... and then a combinator and start making some dan bell style minimal with a single synth with all the rewiring?

Ok... so you got that cool synth part... export it as wav and use it in your sequencer. keep the reason file around if you want to do some tweaking later. :)
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

I don't own or have reason... I have cubase and ableton :-)

...but I think you're right. I finally came to the conclusion to use both side by side and don't be afraid to render the audio within to change the sequencer in the middle of a track... if I feel the urge.

Quasi best from both world.