Too Many F!@%$ Songs

- open
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Too Many F!@%$ Songs

Post by Phase Ghost »

After being out of the record buying game for a few years, I've started buying mostly digital tunes with the odd record here and there over the last 6 months or so.

There is just too much music coming out. When I was buying vinyl, it was easy to keep up with everything along with finding out about new labels. You went to the record store, picked out a stack of tunes and bought what you liked.

Now, especially with minimal, there's 15 million releases a day and no way to keep up with it all. A new label(or 12) every day and loads of sub-par releases with some gems along the way. whatpeopleplay seems pretty cool and a few blogs I read seem to cater to what I like, but it's just too much music. So much, that I get burnt out listening to tunes and probably pass on a bunch of good tunes because of it.

I know this has probably been covered a million times already and there's little I can do, I just needed to rant a little. :)
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

buy vinyl, its easy to keep up :D

and you dont have to own every good track

imagine a world where only a hand full of music is released every week.
every DJ would know the tracks and no suprises would happen any more
henrique
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by henrique »

it's easy to get lost browsing the web for new releases, you skip a lot of rubbish and then the slightest sign of a release better than the average might get you think it is a good release when it isn't that good. Right now I feel the need to regularly spend an hour listening to some special mix (the last one was the Steffi one for LWE) in order to remember there's still fucking beautiful music. By that point, the 20 releases you had picked from the last browse will turn into 2. There are just too many records that aren't that bad but the tricky thing is to remember that they aren't that good.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

it is the dj job to search for good tracks , even if there is millions of them. i prefer having too much choice than too few...

now when you find a good record it is easy to look forward for the entire label catalog for exemple.

The main problem i think is the fact that you can't really judge a track's real quality unless you buy it, because of low bitrate previews. and sometimes , the arrangement isn't so good , and other issues.

when you're in a vinyl shop you can listen the entire track and be more confident in your choices. i believe.

some rely on blogs to find good tracks , as long as you really buy them , it may be ok to do so , some blogs make a really good selection , and not necesseraly tracks that are heavily promoted by charts in shops.
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

By that point, the 20 releases you had picked from the last browse will turn into 2.
true !

and yeah i have a problem with this 45 seconds sample thing - thats just not the way someone should have to buy music ..

i confess i download sometimes EPs from illegal sites, and without the downloading i definitly would have much less records..

so there have to be a change
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Themis wrote:buy vinyl, its easy to keep up :D

and you dont have to own every good track

imagine a world where only a hand full of music is released every week.
every DJ would know the tracks and no suprises would happen any more
Good points! I suppose too many (good) tunes are better than not enough. It's all the trash that gets put out that I hate having to sift through.
pheek
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pheek »

I was also going depressed about the number of releases. Apparently promoters and club owners are also complaining that's also becoming to see through the trends. I'm honestly not sure what to think but I agree the beauty of this mess is giving djs the chance of playing a wider variety of music that others never heard of, which I believe is what a lot of us want.

Tip of the day: if you like the track for it's preview but not the rest, make an edit of it in ableton or something; it'll raise questions, trust me.
miroslav
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miroslav »

Why even bother trying to keep up with it all?

I have an ever-growing list of good artists and labels I make sure to check out, and the rest will come to me over time when I hear something that really catches my interest in a set or even just when I randomly happen across something when I browse for a bit... not going to stress about going through all of a zillion mostly poor releases.