mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

haha nice seamus :D
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

seamus wrote:Where are the Detroit pictures and flyers that are apparently 'slammed all over his MySpace'? All I see is the artwork from his RA podcast (presumably done by RA) and a flyer for a Black Survival concert.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... mId=402656
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:It is kind of amusing just how "black" his music is. Like the first track on his myspace has all these black guys socializing with stereotypical "black guy" phrases and "black guy" accents. I wonder where he got all these samples.

I could imagine how disenchanting it must be for black guys who heard the music and were digging the vibe then they found out the guy who made it was not African American or even black. It must piss them off... just think... all that time they thought they were respecting a bother! Its unforgivable isn't it?

I remember a couple weeks back I saw a CD with some black guy on it and thought about how much it communicated a soulful stereotype. (who knows, maybe it was the same record Bones was mad about in the article) The thought also occurred to me that it would be weird for a non black guy to have a black guy on the cover of a CD. It wouldn't seem very odd for a white guy to have a black woman on a CD or vice versa but with men its a different situation. It crosses some kind of social boundary.

I also thought about what it would be like to create a fictional character of a black guy to market music under. I bet there are people who would be more likely buy stuff if they thought it was made by an authentic soulful black guy from Detroit or Chicago. Those guys have already worked so hard to create a market for themselves that a demand for that niche is already there waiting to be taken advantage of.
Maybe I should say that I'm from France. I could switch to ultra-compressed disco house and abuse the hell out of vocoders and auto-tune. Who cares how many French people get offended? Daft Punk hasn't put any cool stuff out in years anyway! I'm just paying homage to what happened there in the mid-90's.

:lol:
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

not liking all the motor city drum ensemble bitching...

the guy produces lovely music, the name is a play on the fact he is from stuttgart which is germany's motor city...tie that together with his influences and there you go...it's just a name!

i love the raw cuts concept, raw beats, rhodes, disco/soul sample and all the tracks are finished in under 2 hours...its a really great series in my opinion...

he is obviously influenced by detroit, whats wrong with that? he isn't trying to dupe or fool anyone, it doesn't take a lot of reading/research to see he is from germany :roll:

for the record i think there is great music coming out of detroit still, its just that now its not the only place good music comes from!

i do agree with themis when he says
i dont want to insult anyone, respect for all artists wherever they come from but pls stop making such a fuss about the city its really annoying
stop with the hate and enjoy the music :D
Harrison
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Harrison »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:I might come off like a bit of a prick but I have been thinking this since this thread started. A little PC voice is saying just leave it alone but the libertarian in me says speak your mind.

It is kind of amusing just how "black" his music is. Like the first track on his myspace has all these black guys socializing with stereotypical "black guy" phrases and "black guy" accents. I wonder where he got all these samples.

I could imagine how disenchanting it must be for black guys who heard the music and were digging the vibe then they found out the guy who made it was not African American or even black. It must piss them off... just think... all that time they thought they were respecting a bother! Its unforgivable isn't it?

I remember a couple weeks back I saw a CD with some black guy on it and thought about how much it communicated a soulful stereotype. (who knows, maybe it was the same record Bones was mad about in the article) The thought also occurred to me that it would be weird for a non black guy to have a black guy on the cover of a CD. It wouldn't seem very odd for a white guy to have a black woman on a CD or vice versa but with men its a different situation. It crosses some kind of social boundary.

I also thought about what it would be like to create a fictional character of a black guy to market music under. I bet there are people who would be more likely buy stuff if they thought it was made by an authentic soulful black guy from Detroit or Chicago. Those guys have already worked so hard to create a market for themselves that a demand for that niche is already there waiting to be taken advantage of.

I don't think the guy is really trying to be deceptive or he wouldn't have a pic of himself on his website. For all I know he is just some German homosexual with a fetish for black Americans.

Its a funny times we are living in when a white German guy feels he has to defend himself to a black guy from some American inner city by saying that "he doesn't want to be judged by his appearance." Am I the only one who finds that amusing?

This motorcity guy is probably some nice and naively open minded guy who has been brainwashed by a combination liberal culture, German guilt and American media.

He even has quote from a speech about black survival by Roy Brooks.

He is probably the culmination of the hopes and dreams of people behind the civil rights movement and all he gets is disrespect for it. You think Bones would be a little more open minded...

Just an observation.
so a white person shouldn't sample a black persons music?

i think you are reading way to much into it all with the whole brainwashed sh!t...nonsense...the guy wants to make music using samples, samples of GOOD music, its just old 60s/70s soul/disco/funk records...such as

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_zUczZZ3LM

which he uses on raw cuts 5...
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Harrison wrote:so a white person shouldn't sample a black persons music?
I never said such a thing nor did I trash the music at all. I agree, some nice tunes. Did you even read the Bones interview?

I made a little error actually. Read that interview like a week ago or something. He was also talking about Terry Lee Brown Jr. and I believe it was his quote regarding nor wanted to be judged on his appearance. He brought it up in the same breath as this opinion on the Motorcity guy.

My line of thought is more result of Bone's reaction to these white guys who are offending him by their music and presentation because of its association with black Detroit.

Maybe if you read the interview the things I wrote would make more sense to you.

The situation is almost like... umm... well lets say some German guy bought a CD of the Detroit Philharmonic Symphony doing Beethoven and then was mad when he found out there are black people in the Orchestra playing his beloved German music. Its that small minded.

All this territorialness over music and sound is waste of time. If you consider the vastness of the universe the distance between one side of the earth and the other is so infinitesimally small that it almost doesn't exist. The space is so small that through technology I can manipulate things on the other side of the globe within milliseconds.

When you consider how small the world its got to make you laugh at gangster types who fight and die to control a little corner in their neighborhood. Their worlds are so small and insignificant their lives are more or less meaningless. They walk around thuggin like they are kings among men. Its funny.

I am gonna cut short this tangent I was about to launch into cause I got some stuff I have to get done shortly.
Last edited by Shepherd_of_Anu on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anonym
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Anonym »

seamus wrote:According to the 20/20 Vision website, Motor City Drum Ensemble is from Stuttgart, which is both the centre of the German motor industry and the place where both cars and motorbikes were invented. According to wikipedia it is sometimes referred to as 'the cradle of the automobile'. Obviously 'Cradle of the Automobile Drum Ensemble' didn't have the right ring to it....
So call yourself "Auto Stadt Drum Ensemble"

Motorcity is taken oh and so is Windycity so don't use that one either
Where where where am I? Who who am I?
John Clees
mnml admn
mnml admn

Post by John Clees »

Phase Ghost wrote:Deepchord is from detroit. They're the best thing to happen to techno ever, in my opinion.
some of the older cats...

Juan Atkins
Carl Craig
Moodyman
Jeff Mills
Stacey Pullen
Terrance Parker
Norm Talley
Delano Smith
Eddie Fowlkes
Buzz Goree
Rick Wilhites
Mike Clark
Sean Deason
Aaron-Carl
Bone
Mike Banks
Kelli Hand
AUX 88

Lee Curtiss
Seth Troxler
Ryan Crosson
John Giaser
Hearthrob
Matt Abbott
Anonym

also all came from Michigan as well..

and perhaps even richie himself could be consider very much a part of the detroit sound...

as well as many other producers that the world hasn't heard yet (but will) in time.....

just to name a few off the top of my head...