Dj Bone interview (bring some hate)

- open
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

ok i dont know that
than he is just pathetic

but i wonder why he does that, i dont see the benefit?!?
its like i wrote, i dont think anyone buy music because its from some city ..

but obviously he does, so thats really absurd.

but here is another thing going on let aside a pathetic behavior of some guy
But dudes from the EU need to stop using Motorcity in their artist or band names
why they have to stop? i really dont see the harm.
ok its really absurd but again no harm. and in the most cases they dont pretend on there myspace page to come from detroit or im mistaken?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

thats weird.

where is motorcity actually from?
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

tone-def wrote:thats weird.

where is motorcity actually from?
http://www.myspace.com/motorcitydrumensemble

somewhere in germany, but nothing more than that. i think he's really young, too. early 20's. which makes it even funnier, because when he had old rave flyers posted, they were from like 95. pretty sure a 6yr old from germany wasn't in attendance.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

Themis wrote:
But dudes from the EU need to stop using Motorcity in their artist or band names
why they have to stop? i really dont see the harm.
ok its really absurd but again no harm. and in the most cases they dont pretend on there myspace page to come from detroit or im mistaken?
lets put it this way...

lets say you built a car, and your last name was ferrari. you promote your car, sell it to friends, and it gets a ton of praise for being so good and so original, but because its such a new thing and people aren't used to it, and the market for such things is low at the time, it doesn't really go very far, but retains its power in the world as something to respect.

then five years later, someone else comes out with your logo, your design, and your whole aesthetic, simply because he knew how good your car was back then and how much he learned from it, but because the market is better and more people are in to it these days, it takes off and he makes a fortune off of basically stealing the idea. people are freaking out for ferrari now, even though its not the real ferrari, its just some dude in his moms basement that wasn't even old enough to spell car when the original was made.

would you not be pissed?

another way to look at all of this...

do you not think that steve wozniak is a little pissed that steve jobs is getting all the credit for apple computers and not him?

Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

cloutier wrote: lets put it this way...

lets say you built a car, and your last name was ferrari. you promote your car, sell it to friends, and it gets a ton of praise for being so good and so original, but because its such a new thing and people aren't used to it, and the market for such things is low at the time, it doesn't really go very far, but retains its power in the world as something to respect.

then five years later, someone else comes out with your logo, your design, and your whole aesthetic, simply because he knew how good your car was back then and how much he learned from it, but because the market is better and more people are in to it these days, it takes off and he makes a fortune off of basically stealing the idea. people are freaking out for ferrari now, even though its not the real ferrari, its just some dude in his moms basement that wasn't even old enough to spell car when the original was made.

would you not be pissed?

another way to look at all of this...

do you not think that steve wozniak is a little pissed that steve jobs is getting all the credit for apple computers and not him?
True...but that should be all the more reason to stay on top of your game and emphasis a quality product. When is the last time someone like Derrick May released a record? The Jaguar remix I think? Plus, so many of those Detroit records were pressed with such SHITTY quality. I understand they follow the family concept and keep it real in Detroit (NSC etc), but when you're running a business where you want the fame, money, and respect, you have to put out the best product possible. That's all there is to it. Not only does it have to be high-quality, but you have to push the hell out of it. I kind of feel like Jeff Mills was one of the only ones who had any hint of marketing sense.

We could really go on and on about this for days, but there is no point. Reality is, the world is evolving faster than ever these days, and "improvers" are quickly becoming more relevant than inventors in every industry.
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

oh, trust me, this whole debate could rage on for years. hell, it already has.

i see both sides of it, to be honest. coming from detroit, i get why they're so protective and disgruntled, but on the other side of things, just like you said, the hell have some of these people done besides just be dj's for the last 12+ years?

Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

i get what you want to say
but the analogy is not good

to see detroit as a trademark is exactly the problem here

derrick may and his sound will always be derrick may, nothing can change that, it dont matter how many jerks running around and call themself detroit or motorcity.

i would understand you, if they call themself derrick may.

the way i see it, copying is a sign of appreciation. ( dont find the right word you know what i mean )

innovation will always be the winner.
nobody that really care for the music will think motorcity has to do something with the myth of detroit.

its like i read here often nowadays, also in detroit much of copying happens right now.

so no fear anybody damage the myth of detroit. its history. over. the books are written.

like michael jackson. over. of course there will be people who try to suck on that myth a little bit. but it never will damage the original michael jackson.

so we should concentrate on the new innovations. in the moment they happen, i predict the people who copies stuff will hop on the train and copy that. you cant stop it.

its not even worth to discuss it.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I might come off like a bit of a prick but I have been thinking this since this thread started. A little PC voice is saying just leave it alone but the libertarian in me says speak your mind.

It is kind of amusing just how "black" his music is. Like the first track on his myspace has all these black guys socializing with stereotypical "black guy" phrases and "black guy" accents. I wonder where he got all these samples.

I could imagine how disenchanting it must be for black guys who heard the music and were digging the vibe then they found out the guy who made it was not African American or even black. It must piss them off... just think... all that time they thought they were respecting a bother! Its unforgivable isn't it?

I remember a couple weeks back I saw a CD with some black guy on it and thought about how much it communicated a soulful stereotype. (who knows, maybe it was the same record Bones was mad about in the article) The thought also occurred to me that it would be weird for a non black guy to have a black guy on the cover of a CD. It wouldn't seem very odd for a white guy to have a black woman on a CD or vice versa but with men its a different situation. It crosses some kind of social boundary.

I also thought about what it would be like to create a fictional character of a black guy to market music under. I bet there are people who would be more likely buy stuff if they thought it was made by an authentic soulful black guy from Detroit or Chicago. Those guys have already worked so hard to create a market for themselves that a demand for that niche is already there waiting to be taken advantage of.

I don't think the guy is really trying to be deceptive or he wouldn't have a pic of himself on his website. For all I know he is just some German homosexual with a fetish for black Americans.

Its a funny times we are living in when a white German guy feels he has to defend himself to a black guy from some American inner city by saying that "he doesn't want to be judged by his appearance." Am I the only one who finds that amusing?

This motorcity guy is probably some nice and naively open minded guy who has been brainwashed by a combination liberal culture, German guilt and American media.

He even has quote from a speech about black survival by Roy Brooks.

He is probably the culmination of the hopes and dreams of people behind the civil rights movement and all he gets is disrespect for it. You think Bones would be a little more open minded...

Just an observation.