tuned percussion

- ask away
ste-waite
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

tuned percussion

Post by ste-waite »

any know any sample packs or can upload some, with what note each sample is ?

would make me very happy
kylemcsparron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kylemcsparron »

Never had any one that done that....why dont you use a tuner plugin to detect it?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Any reason why you can't do it yourself with your own samples? :?
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Do you need to know which note so it will play correctly on your keyboard?
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: tuned percussion

Post by dubgil »

ste-waite wrote:any know any sample packs or can upload some, with what note each sample is ?

would make me very happy
gotta be a little more specific. Do you mean your looking on how to tune a drum set or something? I know in rock for example, you tune your kick drum to E and go from there with the toms -
Priori
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Priori »

I've been synthesising most of my pitched percussion lately.

The idea is that you have heaps of harmonics at the start which is like the hit of the drum (really short) and they away into a tone which is the pitched resonance of the drum.

Try a really short burst of noise through a band pass filter (basically a click) with really high resonance. The freqency of the filter will be the pitch of the percussion, the resonance the length of the ring and different types of noise will give different qualities.

You can also do similar cool things with fm. Just say a sine wave modulating a sin wave. Then put a really short envelope on the amplitude of the modulting wave. This way it gets heaps of harmonics at the start and then dies away into a ring which is the pitch.

Oh and some subtle pitch envelopes can add heaps too - it's like the slight rise in pitch of a drum skin and you hit it and it tenses.

If you fiddle a bit it's not hard to get some fairly natural sounds + if you synthesis it then you have heaps of opportunity for modulating the tone and for creating messed up stuff too :)
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: tuned percussion

Post by Keagan »

dubgil wrote:
ste-waite wrote:any know any sample packs or can upload some, with what note each sample is ?

would make me very happy
gotta be a little more specific. Do you mean your looking on how to tune a drum set or something? I know in rock for example, you tune your kick drum to E and go from there with the toms -
this is ridiculous noone tunes acoustic drums to specific notes, especially in rock music. Jazz drummers don't even tune to a note. anyone that tells you other wise is a douche bag
kylemcsparron
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kylemcsparron »

Sorry Keagan but it aint bullshit,

Alot of drummers tune their drums to be in thirds and fifths and things like that because then they sound better when played together. Saw Dave Wreckyl (Sp?) in one of his videos explaining about the tuning of his drums....and he knows alot more about drums than I do.

Im sure some people don't but alot of drummers I know tweak the hell out of their kit and will explore every method of making it sound better. And having toms tuned in specific intervals is one way of making things sound better, unless you want them all just to be random, non correlating notes.