any tips for making your own phono to jack cable?

- ask away
intellijel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by intellijel »

super useful guide by Rane:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

At the end there is a matrix where you can pick any source connector type and any destination connector and then there will be a corresponding diagram on the subsequent pages for exactly how to wire it.

Also if you are an inexperienced solderer, make sure you understand what "tinning" is and look at some onling guides for how to properly strip and prepare audio cables.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

im reading reading reading and reading... i wonder if the experiment is whether this will work, or if a total amateur can do it in the first shot. ill tell you how it went when im done
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

You should make a "Blue Peter" style photo step tutorial! ;)
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

so if i understand you correctly, you want to make a stereo RCA to 1/8" stereo jack cable?
if that's the case, realize
A) you'll need to buy the 1/8" jack to solder (or a 1/4" w/ adapter) from the existing RCA cable. if you are planning on combining your 2 existing cables, i would strongly advise against it; splicing the two with twisting wires and electrical tape will give you so many problems, it's just worth it to go spend the $9 and buy a pre-made one.
B) it's an unbalanced cable by nature, so keep it short to avoid interference (if you need this cable to be over 10 ft, you should re-think what it is you're trying to accomplish).

that said, it's not difficult to assemble; each RCA (L and R) has a + and - wire.
the 1/8" jack has 3 connections: L+ (tip), R+ (ring), and a shared ground (sleeve, wiring both - together).
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

Myfirstcasio wrote:You should make a "Blue Peter" style photo step tutorial! ;)
Here's one I made earlier ;)

Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

actually to be perfectly honest i decided against buying soldering equipment (~€100) and instead 'surrendered' and bought a rca->trs adapter and a male->female trs-adapter (€5 in total), but i mean it isnt about the money its more about curiosity and learning and all those walt disney-virtues. Ive learnt a sh!t lot by simply planning this thing and seeing if it would work so i call it quite a success
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

agodi wrote:
Myfirstcasio wrote:You should make a "Blue Peter" style photo step tutorial! ;)
Here's one I made earlier ;)

Ding! 8)