Question for label owners

- open
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Question for label owners

Post by db2 »

I ran a couple of small techno labels years back, we did some modest sales and were fortunate enough to find two p&d deals that paid for us to press up some vinyls. We were still a small struggling label, but got some quality releases out from myself, Kero, Dustin Zahn, Tim Xavier, Andrei Morant, Ian Lehman, and some others. Now eventually we experienced the implosion of the distribution companies we were working with (I'm sure some of you can make a few guesses). At this time, with one distributor we were saddled with some debt that we couldn't pay and we simply dissolved the relationship agreeing for them to liquidate the remaining stock of our vinyls.

Fast forward to years later, and I see some of our releases cropping up on quite a few different mp3 sites, wondering, where are these coming from? Probably from disparate people from imploded distributors who figure the vague international laws will protect them from real prosecution, or even discovery. Now at first I was like, whatever, f*ck it, let someone else do the footwork and spread those old releases around. But now as the digital age is evolving, I'm wondering just who is collecting the small checks, and how much. From running a small label venture I can imagine it's probably barely, if even, enough to cover the operating expenses to get the stuff out to people.

I'm curious what some of the people here with labels think about this situation and what you would do about it. For the most part I'm not that concerned about it, but I've wondered enough that I'm interested in getting some feedback from other people.
camus
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by camus »

what site are you talking about? if it is russian ones, forget it, piracy is kinda legal there , just try to distribute your catalog on legal pateforms.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Spill the beans with the label name and the mp3 shops.
habitueE
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by habitueE »

Isnt it possible the distributors have nothing to do with it? As in, people bought your releases back then and ripped , uploaded them? Unless im missing something :p
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by db2 »

I might clarify some details later, but we're talking about legitimate mp3 selling sites, not something ripped on a blog or something.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

db2 wrote:I might clarify some details later, but we're talking about legitimate mp3 selling sites, not something ripped on a blog or something.
Okay, that doesn't sound good in my ears. I would mail the shops and ask who they are doing business with regarding the tracks...
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

ok, so your label is Live Wire? I love google :lol:

If your tracks are being released on Beatport and such, chance is very good that it's indeed a distributor. Check your contracts of back then if you signed away rights to distribute the releases on other formats then just vinyl. If that's not the case, I'd present your case to Beatport etc, I know they will certainly have a listen to what you have to say.

If you're right, you could even ask them to just cancel the account of who ever is selling your music, or -even smarter- simply ask them to turn the account of your label over to you.

You could of course start some legal action, but with the current amounts of money you can only get from a release, the costs outweigh the possible reward I think. So best way is to try and contact the ones that are selling your music and start a dialogue from there on.

Good luck :)