Syncing a TB303 with Ableton

- ask away
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Syncing a TB303 with Ableton

Post by tbag »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to sync my TB303 with Ableton but i cant get any sound through on ableton....

I have a Doepfer MSY2 with Dinsync cable coming from the 303 into the MSY2 and a midi cable coming from the midi out on my Remote SL into the MSY2.

Is there anything i need to change in my preferences on ableton, normally when my nord is hooked up I just select port 1 as my input on the ableton midi channel and port 2 as my output. I have messed around with it and i cant seem to get any midi signal in ableton, has anyone else here have a simular setup?

Also, my 303 doesnt seem to play on its own when its plugged into the MSY2...any help would be great...
computer controlled
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by computer controlled »

Well, for one, when you have a sync cable plugged into the 303, this automatically puts into slave mode. So it won't play on it's own. You need to disconnect the cable from the 303.

Try running your MIDI cable straight from your comp into the sync box. Do you have a drum machine handy? Use that as well to make sure the converter is working. I'm not a software guy, so i don't know the inner workings of Ableton. I'm assuming you're running MIDI out from Ableton into the Novation controller, then out into the sync box?
Synths:
SH-101.TB-303.Juno-1.EuroRack Modular Synth.Evolver.TX81Z.CZ-101
Drum Machines:
TR-707.Machinedrum UWmkI
And Various Effects
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tbag »

My Remote SL is connected to my comp by USB...ok so if the tb 303 is in slave mode then should it not start when i press play on ableton?

I dont have a machine drum either and yeah im running midi out to the SL then from that to the MSY2 sync box.
computer controlled
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

I'm pretty sure your problem is you're using USB. You'll most likely need to run direct from your computer with a proper MIDI cable.
Synths:
Drum Machines:
TR-707.Machinedrum UWmkI
And Various Effects
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Midi controllers dont send midi clock.
like computer controlled said, connect the midi out from you audio interface, not the remote sl.
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tbag »

Got it working, thanks for your help lads :D
computer controlled
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Excellent! What was the solution?
Synths:
Drum Machines:
TR-707.Machinedrum UWmkI
And Various Effects
tbag
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tbag »

I connected the Doepfer box with the soundcard and also then i read the manual and realised you have to click on the 'function' button!

Thanks for your help!