- open
Thomas D and Jack Thomas
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Thomas D and Jack Thomas »

rhythim is rhythim - the beginning
Cybotron - Clear
Inner City - Good life

also, the before 1996 part is hilarious! hahaha. Have any of those guys even released anything after '96? If they have, its definitely not memorable!
chrisdisco
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Favorite Track from Atkins, May or Saunderson

Post by chrisdisco »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:Out of Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson name your favorite track(s) any of them have put out before umm... lets say 1996.
have they produced anything after '96? ...

my two from each:

juan:
model 500 - no ufo's
cybotron - clear

kevin:
e-dancer - pump the move
reese - rock to the beat

derrick:
rhythim is rhythim - nude photo
mayday: wiggan (re-mix)
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Thomas D and Jack Thomas wrote:also, the before 1996 part is hilarious! hahaha. Have any of those guys even released anything after '96? If they have, its definitely not memorable!
True that. I was thinking the same thing when I was writing it. 1996 should give everyone a lot of leeway.

For myself I am not sure what my picks would be. I was thinking after reading the DJ Bones thread the world he worships and I was trying to think of some tracks by "the originators" that I really was crazy about. I could think of much so I was curious what others thought.

I like "Juan Atkins - Flash Flood" but there is a sample I don't like. I find this to be true with most techno though. I was never really into the early Detroit sound too much.

The voice in that track by Kevin Saunderson - Say something gives me a some kind of weird flashback. (not the lsd related kind)

I don't think I have any die hard favorites. Some I like some I don't. Im hoping someone will list some mind blowing track that I have not heard before.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

regarding post-96:
Derrick hasn't made anything, obviously.
Kevin put out Heavenly, World Of Deep, etc in 1997 then went down quick from there.
Juan has continued to release a bunch of Infiniti material, and IMO that Skynet LP (1998) has a few jams.
prussell
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by prussell »

Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:Im hoping someone will list some mind blowing track that I have not heard before.
just curious....you've heard all the tracks listed so far?
Ciaran_
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ciaran_ »

Mayday - Wiggin
Rhythm Is Rhythm - Strings Of Life/Nude Photo
Model 500 - Starlight
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

prussell wrote:
Shepherd_of_Anu wrote:Im hoping someone will list some mind blowing track that I have not heard before.
just curious....you've heard all the tracks listed so far?
I know more then I think I do. I never really followed these guys... mostly because I didn't start buying records until 97 or so. When I first got turntables I was buying house and trance records. After a few months I got into the minimal sound. The record shop in my town used to bring in a lot of good minimal stuff. In fact, the record shop was kind of where i was exposed to minimal. They brought in a lot of stuff from minus and force tracks. I snatched up pretty much anything from those labels but there was a lot of other good minimal stuff at that place too.

Funny thing... I didn't know that minus was called minus. Whenever I saw the blue record sleeves with certain patterns on the label I made sure to put it in my preview pile and I usually ended up buying it.

I never saw anything by those three Detroit guys. I don't think they were putting out too much by then. I was probably in grade 2 when they were at their peak. I know a lot of their tracks to hear but I probably couldn't ID many of them.

Some of the ones listed here I thought I hadn't heard but then when I listened to them I knew them. Just remember them from parties I suppose.

I was just never all that crazy about that sound. I had a little phase when I liked harder techno but I was more drawn to the housey end of things. I like harder techno with strong tribal drumming rhythms a lot though. I was never very drawn to the "Detroit sound." I liked the records coming out of Germany and some of the Scandinavian countries.

Thats part of why I asked. Just calling on the vast knowledge of mnml users to find out about anything I had been missing.
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

I thought that Cybotron's "Clear" was Kraftwerk when I was a little kid. :lol:

Reese Project - Station Of The Groove (Jay Denham Remix) 8)