dave smith mopho

- ask away
colinz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by colinz »

of course it is, but im always into something new ;)
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

I have just received my mopho and must admit and not very satisfied with it!

Does anyone get a clicking noise on some presets when you press a key or the Push It button? I think it may be defected as some of the presets dont work also!

Also is there a way to edit the pots so you dont have to turn them 6 times for the cutoff to go from min to max? (Im guessing 'look in the manual' is the answer im about to get :)
STML
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by STML »

oblioblioblio wrote:it's commercial but it's damn good (though mac only).

filled to the brim with attention to detail... the creator is an absolute legend. Any function that you could possibly think of is taken care of. Deep library of scales, you can retune anything... software hardware, and you can rceate your own scales in very interesting ways.

www.nonoctave.com
OT, but thats wicked, thanks for sharing...
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

minormal wrote:I have just received my mopho and must admit and not very satisfied with it!

Does anyone get a clicking noise on some presets when you press a key or the Push It button? I think it may be defected as some of the presets dont work also!

Also is there a way to edit the pots so you dont have to turn them 6 times for the cutoff to go from min to max? (Im guessing 'look in the manual' is the answer im about to get :)
Clicking noise? You might want to read this (more obvious on the Evolver, but MoPho probably has this too): http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... hilit=clop
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

Yatmandu wrote:Clicking noise? You might want to read this (more obvious on the Evolver, but MoPho probably has this too): http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... hilit=clop
Yeah that sounds like the same issue my Mopho has. Some of the presets stop working also. Its a shame as I was going to consider getting an evolver but im now put of.

Cheers for that link
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

If your presets don't work this is a separate issue... on the clicking however, I have much insight.

It is simply an amp envelope thing. The attack and release stage are just wicked fast on both the mopho and the evolver. These 2 synths are also designed to be able to overdrive at any stage in the signal chain and will clip. This is by design.

If you don't like the clicking turn up your attack a bit and open the release on the amp envelope... also make sure that your collective OSC levels aren't too hot and aren't clipping/overdriving as then enter the VCA stage.

It is very important to think of all DSI stuff like a "modular in a box" and to program them correctly. A lot of the presets on their synths are overdone a bit, so you may have to adjust them to get the desired result.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Yatmandu
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Yatmandu »

I don't know the technical details but I believe, from what I've read, that the OSC "clop" is basically a design bug in the audio processing chain that rears it's tiny head when the oscillators change pitch.

But people, don't shy away from these DSI beasts, just because of one little technical wart. They are still fantastically values synths IMO.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Hmm yeah I am not sure either. All I know is my own experience, and about 2 years ago I was told by an Evolver aficionado to just change my envelope settings or turn down my osc levels going into the filter and VCA stages and for me that solved the problems immediately... now when I hear the click I just check those first and it always resolves it.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban