Back to vinyl?

- open
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

tone-def wrote:like what?

i've been using ortofon needles for years and i've never noticed any problems with the records i love so much i can't stop playing them. which is more that can be said for some of my friends that have stanton needles. but maybe i look after my records better, i'm always cleaning dust off and never put my fingers all over the grooves.
lots of tracking force, lots of weight, sharp stylii, and the friction all those cause eats away at the groove walls faster than shure's or stanton's.

honestly, stanton needles are pretty damn good. still take shure's over them all any day though.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i forgot about shure. i hear a lot of positive things about them but never played anywhere that uses them, maybe i'll look into buying a pair.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:i forgot about shure. i hear a lot of positive things about them but never played anywhere that uses them, maybe i'll look into buying a pair.
I have always had ortofon at home, but Culture Box here in Copenhagen uses Shure, and they rock, better tracking, and higher output!
nierika
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nierika »

cloutier wrote:no offense, but if you love vinyl so much, you'd know that ortofon needles demolish records at an alarming rate, and you'd switch to better carts.
:lol:

No offense taken!
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

cloutier wrote:
nierika wrote:Because record cases are too heavy to lug around? ;)
people seemed to do quite fine with them for the first 20 or so years of djing. everyone today is just a sissy.

nierika wrote:I would probably quit DJing if vinyl was no longer produced. My Xone:92/Technics M5G/Ortofon NCII setup sounds so f'ing good it's intoxicating.
no offense, but if you love vinyl so much, you'd know that ortofon needles demolish records at an alarming rate, and you'd switch to better carts.
Huh? Have been using Ortofon forever (20 years actually) and my records often sound just as good as in the first days. I always mount my own needles when i go and play in a club too, because well... you know how crappy or worn the needle sets in clubs can be. Ask any vinyl junkie: don't share your needles :p

Love the Nightclub E versions btw. Very high output too, which makes them also ideal for f.e. TS.
nierika
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nierika »

PsyTox wrote:Love the Nightclub E versions btw. Very high output too, which makes them also ideal for f.e. TS.
NCIIs are ellipitcal only.

"Once you go elliptical, you'll never go back."
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I would buy a shitload more vinyl if there were record stores around that stocked tunes I like. There's one record store that sells hip hop and rnb and I think they sell house now. But, with juno or some other place that I can't walk into being the only option, I'm much less inclined to buy vinyl. If I buy a new tune, I don't wanna wait a week or more to play it, plus pay to have it shipped and all that sh!t. That's the bottom line.
master b
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by master b »

ive recently made the jump back to vinyl after 18 months of using serato. reasons being as follows:

1) i wasn't enjoying DJing as much - i prefer the sound of vinyl, plus io love digging for records in my collection and i like to keep on top of a set amount of tracks, not wade through 1000s of unrecognisable mp3s. i love the artwork and it helps me recognise each record for what music is on there.
2) shopping for music was becoming a terrible chore. i really wans't enjoying it. it's been said before but sifting through countless terrible releases on beatport was literrally making me question giving up djing. real morale crusher.
3) i originally moved to digital for cost. the lack of enjoyment and satisfaction has outweighed the money ive saved.
4) i run a vinyl label and i think it's a little hypocritical not to play vinyl
5) i thought "what am i actually buying music for? i play once maybe twice a month so it's certainly not to stay up to date with the 10 latest mennheim EP thats have come out that week.

so i thought fck it im gonna buy music for me, to keep, to collect and to play. the fact that it's on vinyl makes it more collectable and if you buy wisely has some shelflife unlike an mp3 which has exactly zero shelf life and no significant financial worth once purchased. i just hope there's enough vinyl only djs to keep the medium going as long as possible. the day i cant put out vinyl on boe is the day i give up.