Back to vinyl?

- open
x0x
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by x0x »

Replace the topic title ? with a .

I'm back to vinyl. Digged up some nice vinyls from my collection tonight, played a small set... hooked again. Why the **** did I ever switch to digital.
nierika
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nierika »

I would probably quit DJing if vinyl was no longer produced. My Xone:92/Technics M5G/Ortofon NCII setup sounds so f'ing good it's intoxicating.
nierika
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nierika »

x0x wrote:Replace the topic title ? with a .

I'm back to vinyl. Digged up some nice vinyls from my collection tonight, played a small set... hooked again. Why the **** did I ever switch to digital.
Because record cases are too heavy to lug around? ;)
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

nierika wrote:Because record cases are too heavy to lug around? ;)
people seemed to do quite fine with them for the first 20 or so years of djing. everyone today is just a sissy.

nierika wrote:I would probably quit DJing if vinyl was no longer produced. My Xone:92/Technics M5G/Ortofon NCII setup sounds so f'ing good it's intoxicating.
no offense, but if you love vinyl so much, you'd know that ortofon needles demolish records at an alarming rate, and you'd switch to better carts.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

I personally dont really see interest in vynil anymore

we are in 2010 almost , and my conception of music (techno ) and life is to go forward and not stay living in the past , having said that (to me its completely indiferent what the individual tastes are"

I see too many reasons against vynil (for example the price ,the problems , the suitcases that carry limited amounts of music and get lost in the airport , u can take the lap with u so... etc etc etc)
besides one of the most important points is this
99% of all vynil lovers if they are in a club and they cant see the booth
they simply CANT tell if a dj is playng vynil, cd , waves etc
so all the arguments in favour of vynil are only about personal taste
And there is not a point in arguing personal tastes , its useless

Do what u like and dont bother the others its what i say
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

i've been pretty strong on the serato front for about four years now, and while i still enjoy it, i'm losing interest in it. not because i think vinyl is superior or something like that but i'm finding more, better tracks that are vinyl only than things on digital.

to expand on that, digital does sound worse than good, crisp vinyl, and some of the stuff i play sounds dramatically different when its not on wax.

but moreover, its simply because i troll beatport and whatpeopleplay, and i find, at best, 40$ worth of mp3's a month that are even worth my time. and that's after countless hours of sifting through sh!t after sh!t.

in my perfect utopian world? i'd play only vinyl with an occasional cd (and i hate cd's, but i understand promos are all coming out digitally, so i have no choice there). sure, the loss of a crate is inevitable, but its growing rarer and rarer these days as the airlines are trying to bolster their image with the economy going to sh!t so they don't fall in to bankruptcy.

i still, regardless, always have at least 20 pieces of wax on me whenever i play, not only in case serato takes a dive, but in case i need to switch setups (which i hate doing), but because its stuff that, again, isn't digital or sounds better on wax.

that being said...i still can't decide if i want to upgrade serato to the new sl3 or to traktor scratch. hahah.
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

cloutier wrote: no offense, but if you love vinyl so much, you'd know that ortofon needles demolish records at an alarming rate, and you'd switch to better carts.
like what?

i've been using ortofon needles for years and i've never noticed any problems with the records i love so much i can't stop playing them. which is more that can be said for some of my friends that have stanton needles. but maybe i look after my records better, i'm always cleaning dust off and never put my fingers all over the grooves.
Kiani
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Kiani »

gustafsson wrote:I personally dont really see interest in vynil anymore

we are in 2010 almost , and my conception of music (techno ) and life is to go forward and not stay living in the past , having said that (to me its completely indiferent what the individual tastes are"

I see too many reasons against vynil (for example the price ,the problems , the suitcases that carry limited amounts of music and get lost in the airport , u can take the lap with u so... etc etc etc)
besides one of the most important points is this
99% of all vynil lovers if they are in a club and they cant see the booth
they simply CANT tell if a dj is playng vynil, cd , waves etc
so all the arguments in favour of vynil are only about personal taste
And there is not a point in arguing personal tastes , its useless

Do what u like and dont bother the others its what i say
I spin vinyl and cd`s, i would play only vinyl if i had the money...

but i have to disagree with you on the capability to distinguish between vinyl dj-sets and using cd`s and stuff...Imo spinning vinyl makes more challenging to do an awesome mix because your abilities to loop etc are limited. You need a really good ear and perfect knowledge of your tracks to do it right, as for cd`s and mp3`s, many dj`s build their sets on looping part of tracks, killing the bass line and letting it explode... Indeed, this also done by vinyl dj`s but I love the rawness, the pureness of vinyl. There are so many dj`s that jumped from vinyl to cd`s and lost their magic... well i think that`s because it becomes (too) easy to mix when using the new technology...

But this is off course not true for all cd/digital dj`s, i`ve heard some impressing digital sets lately... but still, my all-time favourite dj sets are mostly done only with vinyl