Funny thing about ricardo villalobos gear

- ask away
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

First of all Ricardo is a DJ, a excellent one indeed :shock:
I don't think he has good technical skills but, what he do with a mixer make effect on the people, he can read the crowd and interact with him like nobody, his selection is also perfect.
On an interview from the owners of Hardwax, the guy has said that Ricardo is one of the biggest customer. When he has fucked up a record he buy the other day the same.
He produce also very good music, with is own vision of sound, that's make very nice tracks. But their are a lot more better producers technicaly, listen one time artists like Argenis Brito, is an another level :lol: in term of complexity and technic.
Carl Cox has said that you can't be good in production and also in djing. You are always better in one or another.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tintin2085 wrote: Carl Cox has said that you can't be good in production and also in djing. You are always better in one or another.
thats illogical.
you cant generalise like that.

there are lots of quality DJ / producers,

Carl can say that about himself, he's a talented DJ, but never really cut it as a producer.
laza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by laza »

!!!

besides that, ricardos sets are a matter of taste (like everything) and to me he is far away from perfect.[/quote]
myspace.com/gergoemusic
myspace.com/schwarzweissmusik
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I don't know many producers who can match Villalobos when it comes to sound quality. his tracks never sound amateur and i can hear a lot of time has gone into his productions. I'd be interested to know where his productions are lacking. if you could point his short comings out that would be helpful, it can only help me improve as a producer.

saying you need a good pair of monitors to enjoy it is a bit silly because that can be said about anyones music.
laza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by laza »

of course his tracks dont sound amateur and i never said that! he is certainly on a higher level then most of us but that wasnt my point. i just dont think that he is such an astonishing producer like for example the Minilogue/Son Kite guys are to me.
myspace.com/gergoemusic
Themis
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Themis »

whats the point in discussing who is better? if we all agree that they are on a high level all is good.

i mean its unlikely that someone would call a producer the "best producer" while he dont like his music ..
in music objective statements can be made, but it has to end at some point. you cant lay down who is the best with facts, music is not science.

what i believe laza wants to say, is that he dont like the hype alround ricardo.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote:
tintin2085 wrote: Carl Cox has said that you can't be good in production and also in djing. You are always better in one or another.
thats illogical.
you cant generalise like that.

Carl can say that about himself, he's a talented DJ, but never really cut it as a producer.
There are also allot of good djs that have music produced for them.....

Aside from that i don't really understand what everybodys hangup is on sound quality. Yeah you need a certain level of production in order for your track to stand up in a mix but after that you're left with the music. The sound quality part is easy but if the content is no good all you're doing is polishing a turd. I don't know about the rest of you but i hear a whole lot of polished turds out there. I'll take a raw un-mastered poorly mixed down track with great content any day over a polished turd.
laza
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by laza »

yes thats what i mean, i simply dont understand.

@torque
you are right, but especially in this genre i think both things go hand in hand.

you argument is really more for recordings, because electronic music is so much about atmosphere/design/etc which needs good engineering to have the full potential unleashed (in most cases).
when you record a guitarplayer its down to him which and how he play the notes. he can be a genious, recorded lousy and still make a great liveact.
but bad mixed tracks on big pa?
myspace.com/gergoemusic