How to cheat in digital distribution

- open
hernangrau
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by hernangrau »

man, you're full of sh!t. I'm not a beatport fan, but i must admit that their system is fast and easy.

But for you to know, we always gets banners or highlited releases with no paying at all. Just send the music and voila.
As a metter of fact.
The first release of my label shufflemood, THE FIRST RELEASE, doing just regular promo, climb beatport minimal top 1, and beatport genreal top 32, and guess what,. totally free as it should be.

Maybe you have to face out that is electronic music, not the billboard poll-
just my opinion
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

miroslav wrote:...and here I was assuming that crappy music made its way into charts because too many people have crappy taste in music?... :lol:
trust that instinct, you're far more right than you think :lol:
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

Instead of worrying about the numbers you are doing, you should be worrying about the relationships you are creating through the music you are releasing.

It is better to have the ears of a handful of established artists than to sell a few hundred mp3's that are going to get lost in the shuffle on somebodies 750gb HD.

Do what you do, make the best music you can make, and keep a low profile. Bust your ass on three tracks for a couple months, press them up and promo that sh!t on vinyl. Don't even waste your time doing digital promotion. The only thing you are telling people is that you don't believe in your music enough to drop a grand on a pressing.

Get involved in the industry itself. Start doing reviews of records, get a job at a record store, start promoting gigs, start dropping free mixes... That is how you get ahead, not spaming people's myspace inboxes with links they will never click.

There is no magic pill, dirty trick, or short cut. Your ass has to pay dues, make friends and build a rep. You also have to make good music, none of this is going to work if you suck. You can throw money at your career but it will be a short one once people figure out you running on pure hype.

As for who I am, you don't need to know. The people I care about know and support what I am doing, and you have heard of them.
gustafsson
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gustafsson »

Don't even waste your time doing digital promotion. The only thing you are telling people is that you don't believe in your music enough to drop a grand on a pressing

im afraid digital promotion is the fastest ,best on effectiv cost around WHEN is done well (regardless of the media you are selling digital or vynil)

Pressing vynil in my personal opinion is awfull because in economic terms has a lot of disadvantages to the public (as opposed to digital)
u have to pay the vynil factory (a cost you dont have when u do digital
+ lots of other things)
there are lots of labels wich have vynil but are worthless (bad quality)
they have money to support the losses , and there are talented people
with digital labels only with good quality who dont or cant lose money in vynil
i certainly agree there are too many digital labels and no "quality" control
and that should be corrected
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Martian Telecom wrote:Instead of worrying about the numbers you are doing, you should be worrying about the relationships you are creating through the music you are releasing.
yeah, good point, often under made.
technopunk
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by technopunk »

You can always pay to be a beatportal $uper$tar