looking for stuff like sasha - coma

- open
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

to the OP. It can be a bit tricky finding your way around dance music.

THe stuff I know has come from weird places, like speaking to people, reading forums, listening to mixes and being at nights.

With other kinda of music it was a bit easier, like you could browse through reviews on websites and slowly work your way through stuff in a reasonably logical fashion.

Whereas dance music is often covered kinda weirdly.

Mix tapes and dj mixes can be a good way to listen to a continuous piece of music but get exposure to a decent range of artists.

Michael Mayer -' Immer' I really loved.
good_god
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by good_god »

oblioblioblio wrote:
Atheory wrote:
RollModel wrote: A favourite album of mine is Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.
i love that album. hadn't heard it in a while and threw it on a few days ago.
+1 for loving this album.

great production and other sonic decisions as well as the lyrical stuff.
+1 again.

i hadn't heard this in years also...until a few months ago @ bunker. ben klock was in the back room while poor derek plaslaiko was in the front spinning to a virtually empty room. as i wandered into the front, sweaty and exhausted, i heard the last verse of "Two Headed Boy pt 2" blaring from the PA and derek passionately singing the lyrics to the few stragglers walking by. it was a great way to end the night.

oh, and im surprised nobody's suggested TRAUM to Mr Roll Model. not the latest/greatest, but it should do the trick.
BeatBoxBaby
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by BeatBoxBaby »

Just reading some posts here... as for tracks with nice melodies, I have no idea, as that's not really my style. Why I'm writing is just to make a minor correction.

Sasha might have started out more than a decade ago with trance (I don't know exactly, as I skipped the trance part of electronic music), but in a sense as trance is considered on this forum, you cannot just call Sasha a "trance dj".

In fact, along side John Digweed, for the past decade he was and still is one of the greatest and most innovative pioneers of progressive house music. To draw a comparison it is no exaggeration to say he's to progressive, what Richie Hawtin is to techno. When the recent tech house / minimal explosion era kicked off, Sasha could still keep a fine balance in his music, sticking to his progressive roots (melancholic melodic atmosphere) and applying the new sounds available with today's developed technologies.

I don't listen to what he's into lately, and I admit I cannot recall "Coma" either, but I know from reliable sources, that he still stands out from others with his unique style. His sets fill the scene with a festive feeling, like no other's. I know and like Sasha, as I had my period of progressive house before, and lately browsing through my old mixes to delete the ones I don't need, I can tell you, I didn't delete any ones from Sasha.

This might be inconceivable for one who's been only into techno ever since their first interactions with dance music, and though I'm quite into deep dark minimal techno and housey stuff lately, I still look up to Sasha, and I know he's compiled some great mixes I could enjoy listening to even today (and they are not trance mixes – God no!). This is why I wanted to make this little correction. So don't "trance dj" him! :P

As for digging into minimal starting out from Sasha and his likes, I don't see a problem with that, as I started out the same way. I had a lot to catch up with though, and now there's even more (and plenty more you better overlook). So to get a detailed picture, I could recommend getting stuck on beatport for at least 12 hours a day listening to all releases of the big techno labels, and whatever comes up associated to them. It's really fun, believe me! :D
...:::I Looove this Place:::...
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

Atheory wrote:another thing i'm wondering about is that lots of people who could be making interesting techno will more likely make another type of music cause its more new and relevant to them. grime, dubstep and funky were/are genuinely youth movements, loads of young producers, djs and fans.
i think your missing the point though....some of this stuff IS techno....
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

primevil wrote:
Atheory wrote:another thing i'm wondering about is that lots of people who could be making interesting techno will more likely make another type of music cause its more new and relevant to them. grime, dubstep and funky were/are genuinely youth movements, loads of young producers, djs and fans.
i think your missing the point though....some of this stuff IS techno....
yeah, i guess the odd piece. that got real dull real quick though, the dubstep/techno thing, thought the 2 step feel was more interesting rhythmically....

actually, do even think theres a point to techno anymore? i wonder when it last had a point. i mean i still really like it, but i'm in my mid-late 20s, i'm starting to think its kind of irrelevant as a type of music.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Atheory wrote: actually, do even think theres a point to techno anymore? i wonder when it last had a point. i mean i still really like it, but i'm in my mid-late 20s, i'm starting to think its kind of irrelevant as a type of music.
i think it's an interesting time for techno at the moment. We're just had a massive boom in techno and now the scene is imploding but i don't think it's the end. it will just be boring and uncool for a few years.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

tone-def wrote:
Atheory wrote: actually, do even think theres a point to techno anymore? i wonder when it last had a point. i mean i still really like it, but i'm in my mid-late 20s, i'm starting to think its kind of irrelevant as a type of music.
i think it's an interesting time for techno at the moment. We're just had a massive boom in techno and now the scene is imploding but i don't think it's the end. it will just be boring and uncool for a few years.
yeah, i understand. i don't mean its the end of techno. i think it will still go on and on and still be a popular music, probably forever, but that doesn't make it relevant, like jungle for example.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

it's quite weird about what makes music relevant or not, and I'm not sure that I fully understand what is meant by the term.

lots of jungle, to me, sounds kinda 'irrelevant'. like it doesn't have too much personal meaning. quite uptempo and quite 'wasted' for want of a better word.

but obviously to many other people in different moments it is completely relevant and does it's job well.

it's amazing when music ties in with social stuff. like early dance music and the first free parties in the uk. i dunno if that's what Atheory means by relevant.

well, that's probably 1 way that I think a certain kind of music would be relevant. in this quite magical collective way. like the stories Burial has told in interviews about his brother coming home from parties.

i never really had that experience. music has always been quite a personal journey for me, but I always kinda wanted to have that feeling of music uniting people collectively with the here and now.

sorry, talking sh!t a little.