mnml mmbr

Post by miniKAT »

I hear Tiesto is good this time of year
RollModel
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by RollModel »

miniKAT

I got a new album the other day called Descension by Aluk Todolo. It's Noise-Rock recorded in a cave and it's really awesome.

A favourite album of mine is Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. "It is a spiritually motivated work conceptually based on the beauty to be found in the horrific fate of Anne Frank." According to Wikipedia. It also has a track called untitled whose bagpipe solo never grows old on me.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - kicking against the pricks is an awesome album. I love his lazy dont-give-a-feck kinda voice while not straying into comedy music territory.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular is currently holding my faith that the music box in the sky still has melodies to give to the world. :lol:

I love Baccara - Yes Sir I Can Boogie just as much as I love Mijk Van Dijk & Thomas Schumacher - Delivery, Moody Blues - Knights In White Satin just as much as I love DJ Tiesto - Suburban Train! :P

I'm sure there are some cool tracks for me to find in the world of minimal, but for shuffled 16th percussion and a staccato riff played for 10 minutes I can feed Ableton Live with Vengeance minimal samples and have it fart that out all day long.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look further into what you've suggested. I've got the patience to sift through liveset after liveset to find the gems so I'll do that. ;)
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

Atheory wrote:
RollModel wrote:
get some old chicago house records and some early detroit records and the perlon backcatalog. listen to them for a year, and then start with new music again.
oh my god this post is the apitame of everything i hate about the scene at the moment :cry:
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

primevil wrote:
Atheory wrote:
RollModel wrote:
get some old chicago house records and some early detroit records and the perlon backcatalog. listen to them for a year, and then start with new music again.
oh my god this post is the apitame of everything i hate about the scene at the moment :cry:
1. i think you meant epitome.
2. i'm not sure how comfortable i am with the implication that we are somehow part of the same "scene"
3. why is it bad to recommend classic records/important records for someone to listen to?
primevil
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by primevil »

Atheory wrote:
primevil wrote:
Atheory wrote:
RollModel wrote:
1. i think you meant epitome.
2. i'm not sure how comfortable i am with the implication that we are somehow part of the same "scene"
3. why is it bad to recommend classic records/important records for someone to listen to?
this is a personal rant. ok fair enough, with the hole saturation of minimal it was a good time to get back to basics and look back etc, but dude this was like 2007....

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... house+cuts

oh by the way, cheers for the english lesson.

p.s this is a youth movement afterall, time to start looking forward again. which already seems to be happening in the uk ironically in places such as bristol etc.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^^

ok, yeah that was pretty cheap on my part. i apologise.

i get where your coming from, its like recommending basic channel etc. records to someone.

i agree with you on the looking forward part. but i'm not sure if looking forward without sense of history is going to yield any interesting results.
would like dubstep have happened without people knowing about uk garage and jungle?
who in the future is going to draw influences from minimal from the last 3 years? its so far from a movement (ie something new and exciting thats happening in the now)

also, i, like most people on this board, didn't first hear house and detroit records over the last few years, but i think anyone interested in djing or producing should know about them, so thats where i'm coming from.

yes, its good that bristol is producing a lot of good producers, but it always has had a good tradition of that, so its no surprise.

another thing i'm wondering about is that lots of people who could be making interesting techno will more likely make another type of music cause its more new and relevant to them. grime, dubstep and funky were/are genuinely youth movements, loads of young producers, djs and fans.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

RollModel wrote: A favourite album of mine is Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.
i love that album. hadn't heard it in a while and threw it on a few days ago.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Atheory wrote:
RollModel wrote: A favourite album of mine is Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.
i love that album. hadn't heard it in a while and threw it on a few days ago.
+1 for loving this album.

great production and other sonic decisions as well as the lyrical stuff.